Can herpes cause colitis
I had unprotected anal sex about 16 years ago not knowing that the person had genital herpes which he also gave me.  I have had 2 colonoscpies in the last 10 years and was told I  have IBS.  The last colonoscopy didn't detect anything.  I just had one on Friday and they are testing for colitis.  I didn't ask them to look for herpes proctitis.  They took multiple biopsies for the colitis so I assume I had some irritated areas in my colon.  Could herpes cause this?  Will the pathology results tell if this from possibly anal herpes.  
I dont know if it could cause colitis.  My guess would be no.  There are a few things that have been linked to causing colitis including enviromental factors as well as genetic factors.  Do you have anyone in your family who has bowel problems? My guess would be that it could be herpes.  However, if they know about the herpes I am sure that they have tested for herpes proctisis.  And if they are taking biopsys I think that the technition looking at it would recognize the herpes itself.  But I am not a dr or anything but that would be my best guess.  
I just went in for the colonoscopy and didn't mention herpes proctitis.  If they look at the biopsies wouldn't they be able to tell if it was from herpes or not?  I guess I should probably have a sigmoidoscopy to determine that.  Can this all be from 16 years ago and now I am just having problems?
Oh yes.  It can happen anytime.  And who knows you could have not even have noticed it.  I know that because it happened to me.  Just younger when its harder to DX. My mom just brushed it off as a sensitive stomach until i was 14 when it got really bad and I wasnt able to go to school.  My dr sent me to a specialist and thats what they came up with. I have what they call unspecified colitis which is a pain.  Because of the fact that they dont know whether its UC or crohns.  If they looked at the biopsys then yes they would be able to tell.  If you have any questions i do have instant msgers if you want to just tal also
I contracted gential herpes from my unfaithful wife in 1992.  In 2008, I went to the doctor due to blood in my stool.  He said I had colitis.  I would like to know how many people have herpes and colitis?   I believe the herpes allowed me to get colitis.  Both herpes and colitis attacks your immune system.   Also, do doctors really know what they are talking about?  The human body is a very complex machine?  Oh, by the way I divorced my wife in 1992.
I have wondered the exact same thing. I was diagnosed with herpes in 1994 yet have never had any symptoms of the virus. Out of nowhere in 2006 I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I have been wondering since if the herpes could have become ulcerative colitis (by the way I've been able to become almost totally asymptomatic of ulcerative colitis as well by modifying my diet and relieving stress through exercise - these types of lifestyle changes I believe are quite helpful to your immunce system anyway).