Confused!
Hello everyone! I recently had a Colonoscopy to find out what is going on with me.. I have had bloody diarrhea, dizziness, muscle aches/pains, fatigue and nausea for the past 9 months. The Dr. said that he saw some inflammation in the left side of my colon and took some Biopsies. Is this how he can tell if it is Crohn's or UC? Can't he tell just by the imaging through the Colonoscopy? What can they determine under a scope? Also, he prescribed me Lialda 2x's a day..  Anyone taking this have any side effects? Thanks!
Anyone have any advice/input?? PLEASE??
Hi -
as far as I am aware, when  Crohn's or UC are in the active stage, the internal mucosa of the colon will be inflamed and present as red/orange. My gastro actually gave me a polaroid type photo of the insides of my colon, not a pretty picture - looked like an erupting volcano in there.

If there are ulcers and/or abscesses, the endoscopist will be able to eye-ball these through the scope - they present as white/yellowish protrusions on the surface of the colon lining.  , BUT, the only way to get a proper diagnosis is for any suspicious tissue to be biopsied and reported on by a pathologist - hopefully one experienced in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Additionally, I believe UC presents as continuous inflammation, whereas Crohn's "skips", with healthy tissue between the inflamed areas.

It will take a few days to get the pathology reports, depending on their workload. You should ask for a copy of the path report from your gastro, since if you do have IBD this information is vital for your future treatment.

I have never heard of Lialda here in England;, hopefully someone else who has taken this med will come along soon to answer your question.

If we can help you further, please let us know.
Take care,

Liz.
Good luck to you, I hope you will get a specific diagnosis soon, but it sounds like the identical procedure initially done to get my original diagnosis of UC.  As Liz mentioned, the diseased (affected) portion of intestine is pretty easy to pick out - the healthy versus the diseased spots.  Hopefully your doc pointed some of that out to you - or perhaps you were out for the procedure and missed the technicolor view of your guts - you'll undoubtedly know soon enough.

The drug you were prescribed is actually one I haven't heard of - WOW, I thought I had them ALL??!  Here's hoping it is a milder case and you can get it under control soon!  Lisa
hi--i've been on lialda approx.6-7 months...better than the other i was on..sounds like uc..i was diagnosed in feb 2009..  good luck