Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Crohns/IBS and herpes simplex 2 - are they all related?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

I have recently been informed that I have suspected crohns disease and IBS. I have had 2 colonscopies and various blood and stool tests. I also have a diagnosis of Herpes simplex 2 and recently the episodes of IBS have increased as a result of my period, as have the herpes epsiodes- is there a direct link with herpes and IBS/Crohns and if so if I were to treat the herpes would this improve my bowel symptoms. Thanks
I have the same problem, but from the information I have gathered is that herpes flare ups happen when our bodies are under stress. I have to say having to go to the potty 5 to 7 times a day canker sores stomach cramps alternating constipation and loose/soft stools are very stressful .if I find out anything different I will be sure to share please do the same I would love to know of any connection
I think mine is type 1 I get them on my face
On your face is herpes simplex1, in the genitalia it is herpes simplex 2.

I too have Crohn's and have "cold sores" - herpes simplex1

I have only once or twice had a breakout while also severely ill and in the hospital from the disease.

I see no direct link to the illness except that as emg454 mentioned, herpes reacts to stress.
When you are in a "major" flare up verses the everyday things that come with this illness, and anything else in your life that can be compounding the "stress situation" ie..family, kids, work, fear of losing job/medical benefits, possible surgery, ect... it all adds to the stress your body is under while trying to fend off the attack on our immune systems, therefore you could be susceptible to further outbreaks.   Hope this helps some.
Kim
I just started a treatment regimen for the herpes i have cold sores.  My doctor is doing a medical study to see if this medicine will work.  He put me on acyclovir 800 mg 2 times a day and 15mg of meloxicam 1 x a day and gave me a sample pack of a pain medicine I can't remember the name of it.  This is a surgeon in my area he is a very good doctor.  He says my cold sores and my stress are directly related to my severe stomach/abdominal pain.  I had gastric bypass surgery last June 2011 before this I never had much stomach pain or cold sores.
I WANT TO KNOW CAN HERPES TYPE 2 BOTHER YOUR IBS?
I have been in a world of pain and discomfort for about a year now. I am a gay man that thought I was careful, but appearantly not enough. What I thought was an occasional 'bout' of hemmoroids (hemorrhoids), 'which runs in the family', turned out to not go away and become a major issue. The doctors were baffled by my symtoms (symptoms) and 'lightly' asked if I have stuck something up my ***. Of course I said 'no', but they said my symptoms looked like Crohn's disease. After a Colonocopy, they ruled that out., which supriesd me because all my symptoms were 'spot on' for Crohn's. My 'partner' recently tested positive for herpes, because he had an outbreak, and had to get a painful circumcision, as a result. So now, I have health insurance and the means to pay for treatment needed to get tested, 'which scares the **** out of me', to see if I have it, so I can get the right treatment. But my symptoms have progressed since my last visit...now I have 'hemmroid-like' protrusions around my anus that bleed, and burn lightly...on a good day,  and I have dealt with this for a year, outta fear of doctors. I have lived my life as a straight man and was even married to a wonderful woman......be safe, no matter how much you trust someone...I feel like damaged goods now. Take care.
Hey guys, if you have any questions that still need answers please post a new question so we can help you out.

Thank you!