Crohn's and Pyloric Stenosis
As a baby I was diagnosed and treated for Pyloric Stenosis. I am now showing symptoms of Crohn's Colitis like, bleeding, both bright red and almost black in stool, cramping, flatulence, watery diarrhea, and pressure behind the eyes. I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist scheduled for a couple weeks from now but I am wondering if there is an increased risk of crohns in people who have been treated for pyloric stenosis. Also, I am curious if there is any risk of infection when one has bleeding in the colon or large intestine? Thanks.
Hi Nicholas,
this is a very late response, and your case will have moved on. But I just wanted to say I have been reading a lot of what's on the web about PS, and yes, there are many conditions including Crohns that are more frequent among those who had infant PS. PS is multi-factored, with genetic and environmental causes, and several related genes have been found - when any of them has a fault it can have other effects also.
If you're interested, I've just posted a blog on the genetics, at surviving infant surgery. I mention a list of baby troubles that often come with PS.
From my reading, the danger with Crohns is not so much infection as pain, malnutrition, anemia from bleeding, and degradation of the affected area of the intestines.
Hope you've made some progress in your case and that you can manage your CD with diet.
Best wishes.