Aa
A
A
Close
Crohn's and other medical problems connected?
Hi, I have so many questions but I'll attempt to keep this short so please bare with me. I'm a 31 year old male from Idaho.....so there are few options when it comes to medical help. Boise and Salt Lake are over 3 hours away so it makes traveling pretty difficult. Basically what happened is that I was pretty healthy and very active but one night I had extreme chest pains and went to the ER. They admitted me and said I needed an emergency Gall Bladder surgery due to stones. I agreed and had the surgery. After the surgery the doctor explained that I may experience stomach pains and bowel problems for up to six months. I immediately began having to go to the bathroom within five minutes of eating anything. I dealt with the issues for around a year, and just would hardly eat to avoid the problems. I than moved from Wisconsin back to Idaho and went to the GI doctor. His explanation was I had UC and from there each month I began getting sicker and sicker. After a colonoscopy he diagnosed it as Crohn's. They than began more and more medications. The last medication they had me on was Humira. I began developing blood blisters and believed they were a side affect of the Humira. Well the GI doctor didn't think it was, and ironically three days later I received a letter from his billing office stating I owed over $2300 and could not be seen until this was paid in full. I had been a patient for over two years and had been told I was on a special program with his office since I was unemployed and had no insurance. Well to get to the point I am feeling the lowest I have since the surgery in 05. I was approved for Medicare but I still don't have prescription coverage. I am now taking medication for anxiety, chronic pain, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, low testosterone, low vitamin d, and depression. I didn't take any medications until I had that surgery. I put on like 50 IBS (I was at 220, but in the last couple of months I've lost 20 IBS--at 6'0 tall.) I am just looking for any advice because I don't believe the doctors here really grasp how sick I am. A few months back I was admitted to the hospital for 7 days and they ran about every test possible and said everything seemed normal, and did nothing. I am just so frustrated and want to feel normal again. Thank you for your time. Brian.....
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1711789 tn?1361311607
Hey Brian!

I understand the situation you must be going through, but I really do not believe the surgery to be the trigger for the symptoms. Since there are quite a few issues we are dealing with, medication for one condition may aggravate the symptoms of another. Unfortunately there is little help that we can provide online without a detailed clinical evaluation. Stress/ anxiety/ depression may itself trigger the symptoms of IBS and are best avoided. I would also suggest keeping a diet log to take not of the food items that may aggravate/ relieve the GI symptoms and diet modification accordingly. With the described set of conditions, I would also suggest considering endocrinal/ hormonal issues such as thyroid related disorders, which could be responsible for a few of the symptoms. Hopefully with adequate treatment, the symptoms should get better in some time.

Take care!
Comment
Cancel
1711789 tn?1361311607
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank