Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Crohn's and other medical problems connected?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Hi, I have so many questions but I'll attempt to keep this short so please bare with me. I'm a 31 year old male from Idaho.....so there are few options when it comes to medical help. Boise and Salt Lake are over 3 hours away so it makes traveling pretty difficult. Basically what happened is that I was pretty healthy and very active but one night I had extreme chest pains and went to the ER. They admitted me and said I needed an emergency Gall Bladder surgery due to stones. I agreed and had the surgery. After the surgery the doctor explained that I may experience stomach pains and bowel problems for up to six months. I immediately began having to go to the bathroom within five minutes of eating anything. I dealt with the issues for around a year, and just would hardly eat to avoid the problems. I than moved from Wisconsin back to Idaho and went to the GI doctor. His explanation was I had UC and from there each month I began getting sicker and sicker. After a colonoscopy he diagnosed it as Crohn's. They than began more and more medications. The last medication they had me on was Humira. I began developing blood blisters and believed they were a side affect of the Humira. Well the GI doctor didn't think it was, and ironically three days later I received a letter from his billing office stating I owed over $2300 and could not be seen until this was paid in full. I had been a patient for over two years and had been told I was on a special program with his office since I was unemployed and had no insurance. Well to get to the point I am feeling the lowest I have since the surgery in 05. I was approved for Medicare but I still don't have prescription coverage. I am now taking medication for anxiety, chronic pain, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, low testosterone, low vitamin d, and depression. I didn't take any medications until I had that surgery. I put on like 50 IBS (I was at 220, but in the last couple of months I've lost 20 IBS--at 6'0 tall.) I am just looking for any advice because I don't believe the doctors here really grasp how sick I am. A few months back I was admitted to the hospital for 7 days and they ran about every test possible and said everything seemed normal, and did nothing. I am just so frustrated and want to feel normal again. Thank you for your time. Brian.....
Hey Brian!

I understand the situation you must be going through, but I really do not believe the surgery to be the trigger for the symptoms. Since there are quite a few issues we are dealing with, medication for one condition may aggravate the symptoms of another. Unfortunately there is little help that we can provide online without a detailed clinical evaluation. Stress/ anxiety/ depression may itself trigger the symptoms of IBS and are best avoided. I would also suggest keeping a diet log to take not of the food items that may aggravate/ relieve the GI symptoms and diet modification accordingly. With the described set of conditions, I would also suggest considering endocrinal/ hormonal issues such as thyroid related disorders, which could be responsible for a few of the symptoms. Hopefully with adequate treatment, the symptoms should get better in some time.

Take care!