Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Crohn's disease and back pain?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Crohn's disease and back pain?

Before I was diagnosed with Crohn's colitis in 2005, I was experiencing alot of back pain which made it so I couldn't move around and I had never ever been in so much pain before! One day I was sunning and I couldn't get up! No matter which way I would try to help myself up I couldn't get up by myself. My husband had to lift me up to help me. This was the first thing that started happening to me before I started to get really sick with fevers, vomiting, diarhea (diarrhea), etc........
Tags: back pains, Crohns, s Disease, Crohn, Crohns, crohns disease, crohn
Hm, nobody out there have any input for me?
I hope all is well for you, I know a young person with crhon's. Its horrible. What is remicade? Is that RA meds?
My daughter just moved to KY from WV. Beautiful down there!
I've had crohn's 30 yrs. Back pain has been my symptom on occasions.  It's sorta like back pain with child labor if you've had children.  Recently I've had lower back pain  that feels almost like I strained my back.  It comes and goes.  Does any crampy feeling wrap around your side with the back pain?
i have crohns to i have had it for 14 years im, like you i have bad..... back pain i went to the dr and she said that i colud not take any thing for it but tylenol. other drugs has inflammtorys in them.she said that that will make the crohns flarup.then i ask for pain pills and she said i didnt need to take them. i dont no what to do about al thatsome dr.s] i hurt all the time if you would like to email me you can i would like to talk to someone  that has crohns to it is ginger_potter***@****   ty, your frined ginger
ok lets try this for the email     ***@****
ok    heath61468                   @                                                              yahoo.       com
Hi KentuckyBeMommaw,
Before I was diagnosed I had the same problems. Even to the extent of not being able to move after lying down. I don't know if its connected to crohns e but I do know I had the same problems your describing. Now its been a couple of years and I still have a tough time with my back but nothing like before. I also have a lot of joint pain! That I am still trying to figure out what to do with. I haven't found any meds that work well for me and I don't want to go back on steroids. My recent flair up the dr. suggested steroids again but I chose to treat each complaint individually that is working for me so far. (except for the joint pain). Have you heard any more about a connection between the two?
Ive only be diagnosed with crohns for a year now but I'm sure ive had it for years. I only have crohns in my small intestine and I only get pain in the low right side of my back. Almost like kidney pain. But I am postive it has to do with my crohns because it only happens when I have flares.
iam only 27 i recently was diagnosed with crohnes after along few years first it was my gal bladder removed it. nope now a year ago they diagnosed me with endometerosus. and sence then my doctors just kept sayin it was that that was causing my lower back pain and abdomin (abdomen) i stay in so much pain.and have several doctors for every little thing. i also have gerd and lactos intolerant. i know im young but it just seems like no one wanted to listin to me. i have been in and out of the emergency room. they have me on a few different meds that i see no difference in. they actully biopsied when they did my colonoscopy in november and it came back negative for crohnes but then i had to swallow a little capsel thats a camera to see inside my small intestines. and he showed me the pictures and said they were ulcers in my intestines but never offer meds for pain i finally asked for tramadole witch is useually used for fibermialga but it seems to help. but doctors apparently dont like to give pain meds but for people that have these kinda problems it should be necesary for all the people that abuse it now we cant even feel comfortable to ask i was so afraid to ask. people shouldnt be in that kinda pain. but my doctor said that its only 80% right he says hes possitive its crones. i also had a doctor tell me because i was bipolar he couldnt give me pain meds. because they have they tendency to be addictive/ i tell u i have seen a few doctors. i have no faith in them. i now go april 1st for a full hystarectamy because they think the pain  again is from my endometerosis.. i hope i have had several test and scops and surgerys and now they think because i have crohnes that its gonna complicate surgery there hopeing it will be in remission what ever thats suppose to mean. i dont have flairs my pain never goes away for a year a half now. im hopeing this does help cross my fingers.
GO TO A CHIROPRACTOR! DO NOT START WITH PAIN MEDS!! I have had Ulcerative Colitis since I was 18, 12 years now, and have been through every med available.  Two weeks ago I had the most severe back pain ever and did not want to go to my regular doctor for pain medication.  There had to be something better than being on pain medication.  I was told by several friends to see a chiroprator.  THIS WAS THE BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE!  I have been seeing a chiropractor for the last 3 weeks for my lower back pain, but I have noticed tremendous relief with my ulcerative colitis which was unexpected.  I had always had discomfort in my lower back especially on my right side, like a pinched nerve feeling which made it very difficult to sleep on that side or even sit.  The pain I felt prior to going to the chiropractor was that same pinched nerve feeling put right in the middle of my lower back which effected both sides of my body.  After the x-rays my chiropractor took, I was shocked!  There was a twist in my lower back that veered to the right (where all the pain of my colitis is located!)  I have been pain free since my adjustments and am on a 10 week fix plan.  Everything in our body is linked to our spine, that is where all our nerves control other parts of our body.  I never would have put two and two together, but it has brought tremendous relief to me that I could never have imagined!  Remember: You have nothing to lose by going to the chiropractor first.  Surgeries and Pain meds will stay with you for a lifetime!  Those should be your VERY LAST options!
I have had the disease for two years now and I have only had about 10 days where I haven't had pain in my back legs knees shoulders and my abdomen without taking any meds. I was taking 16 pills a day to clam down the back pain along with my burning sensation in my abdomen. Finally I took Tramodol and that saved my life. If I don't take it when I get up the pain in my back, abdomen, pelvis and knees kills me. I work in surgery and I have to walk and stand on really hard floors so that doesn't help at all. I hate waking up in the morning with a burning sensation in my abdomen and the pain and weakness I occur when I sleep for more than 5 hours at a time. I went to a chiropractor and he really really screwed up my back. He hurt me more than I could imagine. So I started to go and get a message once a week and that helps a lot with my lower back pain. I have been on pentasa for the last 2 years and I think my body has become acustomed to the dosage and I have had 5 flair ups since January. I just got off a 3 month course of steroids and I felt wonderful for about 1 month now I'm back to the back pain, joint pain, the bloating abdomen pain and flair ups! I hate it. My Crohns doctor is best friends with my husband and he still can't help me. I think its a wicked disease that no one really understands and if you don't have it you don't really understand the pain that is involved with crohns. I have to live on Tramodol or else I'm in constant pain. I have to go off the tramodol for periods of times so I don't get addicted to it. And its those times I hate even moving! I hope my story can help those who have had these problems with Crohns. I don't think anyone will find a cure as of yet but time will come and maybe there will be light at the end of the tunnel. For now I take pain meds to help with the pain if I don't take them my life is pretty hard.
Hey All,

My name is Steve.... I have been diagnosed with Crohns about 14 years ago.   Didnt have insurance so let it get really bad.  Had 8-12 bowel mvmnts a day and thought I was in remission.  How stupid of me.  Got married... got insured... went to see one of the best Gastro's in Chicago.  He asked how I was feeling.  I told him everything and he said I was crazy.  He scoped me and my CR is very inflamed.  Put me on Prednisone for 2 months and Imuran indeffinatly.  I went from 8-12 BM to 1-2 (talk about stupid ha?)  Feeling great, but had to go back for another colonoscopy.  I was positive everything was peachy-dory.  Doc comes out says I am still inflamed and have strictures (intestine thickening and slowly closing).  So now he prescribes Humira... I FREAK OUT. He is bringing out the big guns.  I now find out that my insurance doesn't cover it AT ALL.  My doctor who works in a University setting and is the Founder of the Illinois IBD Society is PISSED.  Meanwhile puts me on Entocort.  Everything is still great only now I can't sleep.  I figured probably just nervous about all the new drugs.  After sleeping about 5 hours in 4 days I gave up and called the Doc.  He lowers my Entocort and prescribes antiaxiety (xanax-like) meds.  I started sleeping better.  Slowly coming off Entocort, and still not understanding why I am going through all of this when I am feeling just fine. (My wife is a resident and explained that I need to do what the Doc says).  I get a message on my cell about 3 weeks ago from my Gastro doc (can we just agree that this doc is amazing) saying that he just got back from a meeting and met an executive from Abbott labs who said I maybe eligible for an assistance program.  I fill out a ton of forms, answer a bunch of questions and found out I am getting Humira for a year for free.  Starting in a week.  Now I am starting to freak out about Humira....... SO..... Any suggestions on how to keep my Immune system working???

I hope all you guys who are doing well keep well and those of you who are suffering to get better.
Be aware that there are some types of arthritis that can go along with inflammatory bowel disease.  Insiste on being seen by a rheumatologist and having a complete blood work up and exrays.  There are treatments, other pain relief meds, and chiropractor or massage can help but it is important that the cause is treated, not just the symptoms.
Quick suggestion - Yes I suffer from Crohn's however i've just had the best blood results I've ever had.  No I'm  not in remission and yes I still suffer (particularly as I have already lost 5% of my spine mobility due to a previous accident).  However the only thing I've done different since my last blood test is I've been eating a couple of handfuls of pepitas (pumpkin seeds - unsalted / unflavoured - just "roasted") a day - they have helped to reduce the inflammation - worth a try.....mind you - my back is killing me again at present and I'll do stretches etc to get it moving - i refuse to let this disease win.
Hi I have been dx with crohn's for 9 yr. but Dr. have think i have had it since i was 15 yr now i am 30yr. Well anyways i do have back pain very bad a times (a long with all the other things that come along with this horrible disease).I have done some research on this what i have found It could be caused by inflammation of sacroiliac joint it in your back it called sacroiliitis or inflammation what the cause of other joints in that area. 2nd muscle tension due to bowel inflammation 3rd osteoporosis due to poor absorption.Every place i looked said same thing , it maters what the cause is depends on treatment either meds message chiropractor hot bath.Hope this helps i feel your pain Good luck hope it get  better
like the other posters suggested go see a Rhuematologist ASAP.  I struggled with back pain for years with my Crohn's disease.  I saw surgeons, chiropractors, pain docs, everything and nothing worked.  Went to a Rhuematologist she immediately diagnossed me with an arthritis that was common in Crohn's patients and put me on medication that worked immediately and now I am pain free in my back.  Luckily my uncle is a doctor and he is the one that suggested I see a Rhuematologist b/c I was considering having back surgery.  Hope you feel better and hope this helps!
Christine
Christine
Back pain prior to being diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Doctor suspected it was colon related about 5 years before my diagnosis. Every few years I would have lower abdominal discomfort or lower back pain which was intermittent, until eventually experiencing the ulceration and inflammation of the colon which lead to my diagnosis. Meds seem to control symptoms thus far.
I have very bad back pain and I m going to my gasrto today, I was in remission for about 3 yr,after surgery but now its back and I have cramping and back pain, I just cant stand it anymore
The dr. said I didn't have Crohns but Ulcerative colitis, but i have been having the same pain you are describing.  I already have been dealing with back pain for years, but you're right...this feels like child labor back pain.  Happens all the time with me since I have not been in remission since it started in April.  I thought I was going crazy for a while.
have blood work to check for celiacs
have crohns 30yrs but also sprue what do u want to know
check for ostioporsis
find another doc yr only hope
I'm 33 just diagnosed 6 months ago with Crohns.So they put me on buspar and  ultram. Well it caused me to have seizures.Well the best part is had back surgery 10 years ago.Go to the hospital messed up several discs and have damaged nerves.Now I have bursitis in my hip,caused by Crohns.I'm on so many meds,and
I think this is my life to I die.Im saying this because I have no one to talk to that really understands me. Anyone that really knows Crohns please email me at ***@****
Has any doctor thought of Fibromyalgia?

Lyrica & Vitamin D3 seem to help me.
Anyone out there changed their diet?  It worked wonders for me.  I went to an herbalist who had me change my diet and also had me do a colon cleansing.   I've been off of medication for over 6 years.  
Hi Christine, my bf is in the same situation, can i ask what medication your rheumatologist prescribed? thanks for sharing. Stephanie
I am so sorry to read about everyone's pain.
My sister in law was recently diagnosed with crohn's disease and she is having a lot of back pain.
I was hoping to find some advice for her, but apparently you folks are just as desperate as she is.
I wish you all relief from your pain.
Hello, I was just diagnosed with Crohn's. They just put me on Pentasa 8 pills aday of 500mg each. Wow@@ The pain has not stopped, but hoping it will work. I do take Vicadon only when the pain causes me to cry and I can't move or sit or lie down, and sometimes it doesn't work. I have had MRI's to make sure it wasn't something else. Yes, all this pain comes from having Crohn's.  I hope someday they will find something that would not kill of something else helping Crohn's. Also when things become so bad, I take a sleeping pill and muscle relaxer, that helps. It has change my life from this active, sport driven love to a person I do not know.
Like another poster, I completely changed my diet & lifestyle.  It has literally transformed me.  Imuran, prednisone, humira, acsacol... Been on all of them.  They only suppress the immune system & mask the problem, not the root of the problem:  the SAD, toxins, pesticides, etc. poisoning our bodies for yeas.  Caron's is not a disease, it is a symptom of poor health via poor nutritious and toxins over time. You need to clean up the body to get well and stay well.  I now eat all organic ( even when I cheat and have a cookie ( rare) it's organic)  cut out sugar (most important), dairy, gluten, and processed foods.  Am off SAD (standard American diet) and onto a paleo (anti-candida/anti-inflammatory) diet.  THE RIGHT FOOD IS MEDICINE.  So are the right fats (virgin cold-pressed coco it oil, cod, fish, primrose, flax oils) and ACV ( apple cider vinegar). google all.  Also google Edgar Casey.  He knew this 100 years ago.  Great resource: www.healingnaturallybybee.com, and don't forget prayer.  There is great power in prayer.  God bless you all.  
i also only experience such terrible lower back pain just before a flare up, usually a terribly immobilizing cramping session. sometimes it has a cold feeling pressure, almost like the coldness associated with numbing, but it isnt numb at all, and has a stiff, sore feeling. The back pain almost makes me naucious... the crohn's cycle!
does anyone else experience this?

i am 18 and was diagnosed at 16. ive had symptoms since i was a very young child.
i also only experience such terible lower back pain just before a flare up, usually a terribly immobilizing cramping session. sometimes it has a cold feeling pressure, almost like the coldness associated with numbing, but it isnt numb at all, and has a stiff, sore feeling. The back pain almost makes me naucious... the crohn's cycle!
does anyone else experience this?

I feel so bad for you. I suffer with ulcerative Colitis for most of my life. I am 53 now and some times are better than others. I have flare ups and sometimes long remissions. I take asacol HD 3x day and enticort. It doesn't help a lot when the flare ups are at their worst.  Don't ever give up although I do feel that way at times. That's when I realize the disease has taken control. It is up to us to take control and continue with life. I have 2 boys ages 12 and 15,along with 2 foster boys ages 4 and 7. They all need me and I need to be there for them. Medical technology  has come so far and even there is no cure yet for our disease I keep the hope. It has been a while since your post and I hope you are doing better as I write this. To all of us suffering, PLEASE never give up. It will get better!
I found what you have written interesting. I am a 28 year old male.  I have been suffering from Crohn's for about  2 years .  They tried every oral medicine out there nothing worked.  Asacol is the only one I can name now.  Then they brought the big dogs out and I started Remecade.  The first go about I had no reaction.  The second time though my blood pressure sky rocketed, as well as my heart rate.  That was the last time for Remecade.  After that I ended up being so bad I had emergency surgery for an abscess on my colon.   I had reconstructive bowel surgery and had to wear an ileostomy bag for six months.  The reversal went well.  Felt good for a few months. then another flare up.  Now I am starting Cimzia.  I just took my first injection yesterday. I really want to change my entire diet.  I have been reading a lot about SCD.  Simple Carbohydrate diet.  Should I keep taking the medication and change my diet at the same time? . I am really confused. just wanted some advice .  thank you