Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Dark green diarhea(diarrhea)

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Dark green diarhea(diarrhea)

I've had this before but lately I'm getting it again, a very dark green diarrhea with what looks like bits of undigested food. Sorry if TMI. I guess I'm not digesting properly and that it's going through my system too fast? Is this a sign of the Crohns? Anybody else get this? I'm supposed to see a GI soon.  
  • Green Stool (1 replies):
    It just started today I had stomach pain and went to the...[more]
  • green bowel
    My bowel has been green for 2 days now. The color isn't ...[more]
  • Green Stool (6 replies):
    Hi, this morning I found green stool, not bright green. ...[more]
  • Green Stool (107 replies):
    For about a week, my stool has become more green. Now it...[more]
  • Green Stool (2 replies):
    My 5 year son occassionally has bright green stool. Thi...[more]
Hi April.  I've been having it too.  I did some research and it can be due to a change inyour diet (more greens) or might be a symptom of gallbladder or bile duct issues.  I'm having upper right flank issues as well.  Nothing showed on an ultrasound and going for a HIDA scan Sept. 4.  I hope it is just your diet.
That's what I wondered because I did have a salad for dinner the other night but it wasn't huge and I've had salad before and yes, it does go straight through me but never saw the green color in the past. It's only been these last few months or so that I've noticed this.
Do you think it's your diet? Have you been eating more salad and greens, etc.? I hate this because I do like salad so I'll have it once in awhile.
But I'm noticing the color change more now and I'm not sure it's always associated with eating salad. I've had it 3 times this week but only ate salad once. I dunno. Sorry again for TMI!
I also feel the urge to go more often. Not sure what that's all about.

How are you doing, Trudie? Are you going to see your doctor again about this? Let me know what they say.
I'm going to go see the GI doctor's assistant. I can't get in to see the GI doctor himself till October. He's booked. We'll see what his assistant says. I see her Tuesday.
Let's keep in touch, ok?  I think it's good if we can all support each other and hopefully learn from each other!
I know mine is not from my diet.  I have abdominal and back pain too with awful gas and more urges to go.  I feel that if you are always eating salads then the change is not an indicator of that.  Do watch the number of salads you do eat as with Crohn's and UC the high fiber can irritate things.  With my J-pouch I will only eat salad every other day but do eat a lot of other vegetables in between.

I also have issues with severe anemia so my rheumatologist is insisting that my GP do a complete GI work up on me before he will treat my Lupus/arthritis any further as he feels I am losing blood somewhere.  Just waiting for appointments and am going to ask for a Celiac blood test too.  So I wait.

Good luck with your appointment.  Let me know how it goes.  I hope they listen and don't blow you off.  Thanks for the support!
Thanks Trudie. They're ordering up an H Pylori test on me, and want to schedule a small bowel follow through. They increased my Nexium to twice a day now and I'm to take Colestid. They want me to schedule a colonoscopy but I asked if we can wait on that till we get these other tests done and to give these pills time to see if they make a difference. We shall see. I guess I have Gerd too. I assumed I did.

Keep in touch!
April, another reason for the green could be iron supplements.  A nurse at my doctors mentioned that to me yesterday.