Diagnosed UC, but possible crohns symptoms
I was diagnosed with UC in 2012. I had had small bouts of bloody stool for years leading up to it, but nothing consistent enough to get people thinking.

I have always had digestive issues. Bad stomach cramping, diarrhea frequently but December 2011 was when it all went down hill. I began to experience frequent trips to the bathroom, mucous followed by drops of blood. I was diagnosed and put on medication, and went into remission around summer. Well, I felt so good, that in October, I just stopped taking meds. By November, I was having smaller bowel movements, but nothing serious. By December, mucous was appearing every now and then. Fast forward to today - 15 trips to the bathroom, lots of blood, clots, mucous and clay colored smelly stool every now and then. Sometimes, even undigested food -weird.

In December, I started to get fatigue, brain fog and over all just felt poor. I would have the occasional stomach ache, cramps, plus bad gas. Smelt like rotten eggs. On top of that, I had loud stomach rumbling. I was tested for infection and came back ok. I do however have very low iron, b12, and D. On top of fatigue, I have terrible mouth ulcers and brittle nails. I have seen several Endo's because I was convinced it was m thyroid.

I'm starting to think I may really suffer from Crohns or crohns colitis. I am having a colonoscopy on Wednesday and want to ask my doctor a little more about it. I'm hoping patient experience can help me out here!

Thanks!
Hi!
There are some bacteria in the gut that produce hydrogen sulfide gas. Sometimes this gas is produced in such huge quantities that the sulfide oxidase enzyme in the wall of the gut is not able to oxidize all of it and convert it to thiosulfate. This gas has a smell of rotten eggs. You need to cut down food items that contain sulfites. Most of this gas comes from sulfites a person consumes, which is a part of all preservatives. Sulfites are present in all juices, molasses, yellow dye in ready made food stuffs, and red wine. Sulfites are present in lesser amounts in mashed potatoes made from dry powder, pickles, tinned shrimp, cookies, crackers, and readymade pie dough. If you have been taking these things in a good amount, then cut down the intake. Also take a lactobacillus preparation and yoghurt with your meals. In all probability the smell will go. Certain food items like cabbage, radish, turnip and certain meat products too cause a foul smell in stool and cutting down these food items also helps.  If it persists, then talk to your doctor. Other causes will have to be looked into such as intestinal infection, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, short bowel syndrome, malabsorption syndromes, chronic pancreatitis or hepatitis and cystic fibrosis. Apart from colonoscopy, you may need an endoscopy as well. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.