Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Had surgery to remove chrons now cannot eat

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

I'm desperate! My mom had surgery on Labor Day weekend to remove 13" of small intestine that was about to rupture (chrons disease). She has been in the hospital for the last two weeks now because she cannot eat or drink without vomiting. The have run ct scans, X-rays, checked for blockage and put her on numerous medicines. They have also put a bag in to drain what small amount of inflammation they did find. The dr are now saying its in her head. They can't find any reason for her to be this sick. She says she feels like her stomach constantly is on fire, she cannot take pills in regular form or crushed. She cannot even eat broth or drink liquids bc it comes back up! She is depressed, frustrated, and sick! She hasn't eaten in four days now, won't even try bc she knows she will throw it up. Can anyone shed some light on a possible cause for this? The dr say they've done everything and there is no blockage, onflammation(not enough to make her this sick) and no infection. Meds do nothing. Is it possible her body has forgotten how to digest food? I'm desperate for answers! I'm afraid she's close to giving up...
CHECK FOR ALLERGIES! The body KNOWS that something is wrong. I could not eat until I was off the delaudin. I was allergic to it, but they continued to tell me that the redness and itchiness was because of the surgery.

As hard as it is, try to keep your mom moving if she can. The longer she is there other symptoms are going to come around like bed sores. I was only in the hospital for 8 days and I was getting bed sores.

There's obviously something with her stomach that is giving her grief. This could just be that the organs have not woken up yet from the anesthetic or they are missing something. Ask for a second opinion.