Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Humira.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Humira.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's 9 years ago. I have been taking Asacol (5-ASA) and Imuran (Azathioprine). Last february I was hospitalized for the first time and was put on prednisone. I am still on prednisone and my body won't let me get off of it. My doctor wants me to start Humira, but I am scared. I don't like reading about the side effects and things that can happen when on that drug. Does anyone have any experience with this drug (Humira)? I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much.
Jessica
Hey Jessica!

Humira is an anti-inflammatory monoclonal antibody directed against TNF. Well, every drug including prednisone would have side effects and so does humira. Without a detailed evaluation, I would not be the best judge if this would be the most suitable drug in the situation; though it could be given a short period of trial to see how well you do on it. You may also like to get a second opinion from another gastroenterologist before making a change in the treatment plan.
Hope this is useful.

Take care!
Hey Jessica,

I was put on Remicade last year and my body became resistant to it. I started breaking out in rashes and my mouth would blister, it's a lot better than it sounds, I swear.

But I started Humira in December. For the first month and I half I was moody and tired all the time. I felt so hungry and I ended up gaining about 60lbs, apparently most of it was water from the prednisone. Everything has precautions, but I think if you're doctor is willing to try it, it's worth it. I think it's a lot better then prednisone since the weight and insecurities don't play a factor as much.
You also have to remember that Humira may not be the cure all medication. I still get random flare ups from stress and food and then I end up bleeding for a couple weeks. I have a doctors appt, coming up to see if I can increase the dose, but I doubt they will let me.
Have you tied taking Curcumin? It's a natural anti-inflammatory. It's amazing! It helped me so much. You just buy it at a health food store or something like that.
But seriously talk to your doctor about it, if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask! :)
Ulcerative Colitis questions?
100,000+ doctor answers