Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Is this more than IBS?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Is this more than IBS?

I am a 43 yo female with a 25 year history of IBS. My IBS has always been IBS-C.  About a year ago I started having loose stools.  They have increased steadily in frequency. For the last 2 months I cannot eat anything without having a movement.  I'm to the point of being afraid to eat if I am not near a restroom. I cannot pass any gas without fecal matter coming out. If I just think I have to urinate, 90% of the time I will have some leakage from the rectum.  Last July I had a stool smear for blood and there was none. I have a lot of abdominal pain on my right side from my rib cage all the way to my groin.  It can be severe at times.  Could it be Crohn's?
Tags: Crohn's

Hi there!

So many people get misdiagnosed for such a long time. Your symptoms definitely sound like Crohns disease, but then a lot of bowl conditions present themselves in similar ways! I have Crohn disease but it did take a while to diagnose. Years and years. The only reliable way of finding out for sure is by having the camera procedure. Blood would not always be present in your stool sample I shouldn't imagine? I had blood tests that came back fine when testing for Crohns. It got to the point where I had the same symptoms has you. Even water sent me running to the toilet, cramps that I can only compare to labour pains. I ended up taking myself to a&e as I was breastfeeding and half dead (well, at least it felt that way) it was there I had the camera procedure, and was diagnosed! I spent a week in hospital having fluid as I was so dehydrated, iv steroids etc. Maybe if it gets worse consider taking yourself to a+e. I felt silly at the time, but its a good job I went when I did. My kidneys were struggling and my inflammatory levels were sky high.

Sorry for the essay. Hope it was of use.. and that you get some relief soon.
Thank you for your response. It was helpful.
Ulcerative Colitis questions?
100,000+ doctor answers