Methotrexate, Remicade, and Side Effects
I have been on remicade for about 3 yrs but recently things got bad and my dr put me on methotrexate in addition to the remicade [w/ increased dosage]...my concern is about the side effects...i have developed a barking cough (nonproductive) and chest pain...I have had the cough for about two weeks now and the pain for about five...i know methotrexate can cause some serious side effects but these are suppose to be rare (and i tend to be a hypochondriac about these things) i recently went to the ER because i was short of breath/chest pain/weakness...i told them i was on MXT so they took a chest x-ray. It was clean. They said i was hypokalemic and gave me potassium supplements...since then the cough has just gotten worse. I'm not sure if i should mention it to my dr or not... there is [surprisingly] little literature on Methotrexate in conjunction with Remicade for the treatment of Crohn's Disease...everything that Ive read has been about RA or psoriasis and omits either Remicade or Crohn's
After all that...i guess my question is...has anybody else experienced this problem? should i be concerned? should i mention this to my Dr? can anyone pass on any lit about the use of these drugs together for Crohn's treatment (scientific articles...not websites)...thanx for your help!

Btw..med history
20 yrs old - diagnosed @ 15
Been on every kind of med (6mp,asacol, pred [duh!], azathioprine, ect)
no surgeries (yet...)
Definately tell your doctor.  He might want to do more tests.  It sounds like you may have chrons in the small intestine with the pain in the lower right area.  Ask what the fistula is connecting.  Also ask why this isn't a concern.

Jayne