New with Crohn's
Hello to all, i am a 30 years old male. Back in February of 2012 i suddenly lost about 13lbs without trying to. No matter how much i was eating i couldn't put weight. No other symptoms. Back in October of 2012 I finally came back to almost normal weight. In November after bloodwork my wbc was high for no reason, esr normal. In December i started to notice mucus in my stool (normal BM). ESR,CRP, normal. Everything normal except my wbc's having a tedency to go up and down from normal to high for no reason. Ferritin of 90ng/dl. Hgb of 16.5 Hct of 47 no signs of anemia. Then about a month ago i noticed some blood in my stool also with mucus. Had a CT colonography which came back clear. My hct went from 47 to 44, hgb still about 16. ESR 4mm/hr CRP 2.1mg/L but wbc up to 15.9!
Finally i went for a sigmoidoscopy and was diagnosed with Crohn's disease (a biopsy confirmed it). My main symptom was blood in stool and after the CT colonography (maybe the air pumped into my colon triggered it?) bloody diarrhea. Currently on Mesalazine, diarrhea and blood gone, some mucus still there. Lost 4lbs.
Is there anyone else with Crohn's disease in whom the only symptom was weight loss and bloody stool?
Hi!
Weight loss and blood diarrhea are common as long as the disease is active. So, as long as the inflammation is there, food will go down unabsorbed and the blood capillaries in the small intestine will break and cause blood loss. Crohn’s can also affect rectum and lower bowel (colon) and a patient can lose blood from these sites as well.
The only way to stop this is to rigorously treat Crohn’s. The treatment involves steroids, anti-inflammatory, immunosuppressant, tumor necrosis factor inhibitors, diet control and maybe even surgery.  To see which diet suits you best, how much of fiber, carbohydrate, fruits and vegetables you can consume, you need to maintain a diary. In this, log in what you eat, and diarrhea or bloody stools. See which diet causes more symptoms and which cause less. A dietician can help you with this. Once, Crohn’s is under control, the symptoms will subside and you will gain weight. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.