Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

is there anybody oyt there that can help me. i love my girlfriend very much more than anything in the world, she has crohns and im very worried. I am told that she cannot take any kind of contraception because of the tablets she is taking. which means we can only use condoms, my problom is what if one snaps what can we do  fi she cannot take the pill or the morning after pill, or anything. im calling to people out there who can help us if they know if there is anything else we can use to be safe ..........please help me.
Tags: help crohns sex treatment pain, Pregnancy, help
  I do not know what medication your girlfriend is on, but I have had Crohn's for 10+ years and was on birth contol until I had a tubal. I know you have to be careful because during a flare up you do not absorb things properly, including pills like birth control. I was always told during those times to use condoms too to be safe.
  Has she ever considered a different form of birth control like the shots, rings, or sponges? These will protect against pregnancy, but not std's. If that is your fear, then condoms are the best why to go.

:-)
thank you for this post however im still concerned by this as im still told that she cant take any thing like the pill or have the injection because it apparently can put her in a lot of pain due to her tableets not working properly. is this true?
and the medication i believe she is on it pentasa or sothing like that if that helps you i stil am very worried. also there are certain things she cant use like the coil because of her age she is only 16.

thank you for you time by the way i really appreciate this

:-)
Hi worried.
Pentasa and the drug I was on (Asacol) are both mesalazine. And like I said, I was on an oral birth control. The only issue I was told to worry about was taking extra precautions during a flare because of absorbtion issues. I may be wrong, but I haven't seen anything that states a difinitive "No" to birth control. I would recommend your girlfriend talk to her gynocologist. There are always risks involved with taking birth control, but I would think a responsible doctor could and should be able to recommend something that will work for her. I don't mean to preach, and I don't know how old you are, but she is too young to be getting pregnant. Her plate is already full trying to stay healthy and deal with the mental challanges that Crohn's can throw at her. Again, not preaching, but as her boyfriend, know that stress can worsen her symtoms (symptoms). Be patient and don't push if she says no. Sex can be uncomfortable if her colon is effected.  

:-)
thank you i do know all this. i have been trying to find out all the relevant information because i care about her so much. i have just been very worries but i will follow your advide and speak to someone.

thank you very much for your time it is much appreciated

:-)