Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Pain in Gluteus, Hip and Rectum

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Pain in Gluteus, Hip and Rectum

I have had the abdominal symptoms of crohn's since early puberty, but was not diagnosed until about four or five years ago.  Still have the abdominal symptoms, and developed symptoms such as peri-rectal abscesses in the past few years, which is what led to the diagnosis.  Just had my third surgery due to abscess about a month and a half ago, and for the past few weeks have had this strange pain.  Any pain that seems to be in the area of the rectum, makes me leary of abscesses, but this is different.  The pain is in the left gluteus, into the bend of my hip, as well as the rectum.  Seems that sitting worsens things, and I have been trying to sit/lie to my right to accomodate, but the pain never entirely goes away.  The pain is not the same as an abscess, not as severe, and there is not the feeling of swelling, like there is with an abscess.  I have been looking into the symptoms of gluteal bursitis.  I do have crohn's, so am posting this here, and hope that someone might know something more...
Kendallblue,
I hope by now you are all better.  If not, please research the condition called piriformis syndrome.  It can cause the symptoms you describe.  You made need a physical therapist to initially help release a really knotted piriformis and stretch the surrounding muscles that often get involved in the fun.  After that, you can do daily stretches on your own to prevent recurrence.  Also, consider taking a methylcobalamin sublingual or injection supplement in case you are deficient in B12 at the tissue level.
Ulcerative Colitis questions?
100,000+ doctor answers