Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Pain in my behind for a very long time.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Pain in my behind for a very long time.

I will try to keep this short, though it's quite a long story. I hope this is an okay place to post this. I'm a 25 year old male, 5'10" and 220 pounds.

Ten months ago, I developed very bad pain in my rear. I checked myself out in the mirror and saw a rather large tear in my 'crack'. I also occasionally got big swaths of bright red blood on toilet paper when I wiped. The pain got so bad that I went to the emergency room, where they told me I had a pilonidal cyst and drained it. I was mostly pain-free for a few months, but I started to get pain in my bum again, so I went to my local health clinic. The doctor there called it a perianal abscess and didn't think it needed draining, so instead he set to work on healing the tear. However, despite the healing, the pain never went away the second time.

I went to the E.R. again while on a trip out of state three months ago and was only given antibiotics and painkillers and told I should get surgery. When I returned home, my doctor at the clinic declined to perform surgery on me and only referred me to a proctologist. The time spent waiting for appointments to come around is killing me! Everything takes such a long time. I'm currently waiting for my visit to the proctologist, but as a rather broke college student, this initial visit is going to wipe out the rest of my savings. I'm hoping I can at least find out what's ailing me.

The pain itself is a very uncomfortable pressure in my rear end. It doesn't feel superficial, but instead 'under the surface'. It hurts CONSTANTLY, though not always very badly. At its worst, the pain radiates down my legs and to my hips. Every couple of weeks I have an extremely painful episode while sitting on the toilet. Sometimes I mistake the pressure feeling for a need to use the toilet, and occasionally managing a bowel movement does bring some relief. At other times, however, pushing on the toilet causes an intense wave of debilitating pain that makes it almost impossible to walk. I spend nearly all of my time at home lying in bed because sitting hurts too much, though recently even lying in bed has become intolerable, and I have no idea what to do. Also, even when it doesn't hurt too badly, my bottom is always secreting a foul smelling liquid that stains my toilet paper yellow or yellowish-pink. The large gash in my 'crack' has shrunk down to a smaller hole, but the area is still extremely tender and I think it's the source of the liquid though I'm no doctor so I can't be 100% certain.

I take two hot sitz baths daily, drink three glasses of Metamucil daily, and I alternate between putting Tucks pads between my buttocks and spreading Tucks cream between them. I find myself taking more and more Advil as time goes on. I went from one advil a day to two pairs of advil daily. Soon I'll find mysef taking the maximum dose of six.

I know there's not much I can do besides wait for the next in a series of doctor appointments, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with these symptoms. I'm worried about the pain being a sign of something like cancer or crohn's.
I would call and check for cancellations.  Tell them your condition is getting worse and you are interested in an earlier appointment.  You may have to call back regularly.  Be polite, even though you are in pain.  I am assuming you are in the USA.