Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Pancolitis

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Pancolitis

Hi my husband started having stomach cramps in Aug 2009.In Sept 2009,(a month later)he started bleeding and rushed to the ER .Was retained overnight at the hospital where the Drs gave him a CT scan and a sigmoidscopy the next day.Told him it was just Gastroenteritis and it will clear up in 4 days to a week.No medication was given and my husband left the hospital in still in pain.For 1 1/2 months he was pushed out of the door of his GI 4 times and was told that she needed time for the colitis to develop since all the stool tests came back negative for parasites,he was desperate at this point and begged her for any kind of medication to relief the pain.She gave him Immodium which caused constant bloatness to the point where got sicker and sicker by the day.He stopped the Immodium after a week.Had lost 40pounds by this time and could not even take down a drop of water nor food.
2 months after the first time he went to the ER,he was finally given a colonscopy.By this time,the GI could not complete it since my husband was severely inflamed.Predisone and Asacol was given.It took  2 days for the bleeding to stop and for him to get better on Predisone which he tapered down within 2 weeks.He is now on a maintenance of Asacol.He has not had any stomach issue ever since than.3 months later,my husband was told to go back to the Gi clinic to get a colonscopy and biopsy test to rule out the colitis.The results came back and he was told that he has Pancolitis.
To be Continued...
My question is...how accurate are biopsies?could it be a possibility that he could be misdiagnosed because he got better within 2 days of taking the medication?Is self limited colitis a coined phrase used by Gastroenterologist?Could it be possible that is what he had due to sudden onset, sharp rise and short course once he was given medication?