Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Please help! Whats wrong with me?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Please help! Whats wrong with me?

I am 23 years old and for the last year I have been experiencing problems. More so for the last month I have been experiencing severe abdominal pain, which is that bad that I have to go to bed and lie in the feotal position. When I have these severe pain 'attacks' I also get a fever. When I dont have these severe attacks I also have a constant pain throughout my whole abdomen. I am having soft stools that are extremely smelly. I also have severe flatulence and belching. I am continually tired and have continuous mouth ulcers.
I have been to my GP and have given a stool sample and blood tests and am awaiting them back on Monday. The Doctor has given me no indication as to what he thinks is wrong with me, but my friend is a nurse and states that is sounds like Crohn's Disease, is this the case?
Also, will Crohn's always show on a blood test or should I request a referal to a specialist GI doctor? I am a Police Officer and cannot live like this. I am petrified!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Becks
Your doctor should send you to confirm if it is Chron's. You'll probably need a colposcopy.
Have you had any blood in your stools or notice in weight loss?
hi anthony its no good messing about m8 get to the docs if it is chorns or uc u need to get it sorted i had uc and i was it a bad away so plz keep on at your doc .. hope your feeling better soon m8 take care .. andy
hi your doc is right not to suggest any diagnosis ahead of results coming back, and I'm surprised at your friend for doing just the opposite. You need a referral to a specialist to investigate and I would expect that your GP will offer this once the initial results are back. Diagnosing Crohns is not as simple as getting a blood test result back.  It is usually confirmed from colonoscopy/gastroscopy & biopsies taken.  (That said, mine were normal but the specialist still insists I got it.) You don't mention your food/drink. Do try and keep your dietary lifestyle including water intake 'healthy' and I hope you get the support you require (.. in fact you must insist on it!!!). Best wishes.
You have to be your own best advocate.  Your GP can help you get the ball rolling, but you WILL need to see a good GI doc to sort it all out.  The range of possibilities in the IBD/IBS world are numerous.  One thing to note here, these are very personal diseases.  What works for (or helps) one person may not help another.  Take all advice "with a grain of salt".  You are an adult, but your parents have been your medical advocates for years...seek their advice too.  Besides, it wouldn't hurt to start asking questions about family members to see who has what and what might be related to your experience.  Good luck with your discovery process.