Post small bowel resection diet
Hi there,

I've had Crohn's for 15 years and finally had small bowel resection 7 weeks ago. I've slowly been adding in different foods and some fiber (I wasn't able to eat any fiber at all before the surgery due to a stricture).  Yesterday I ate a white bean/celery/carrot stew and then had what seemed to be an obstruction that lasted for about 5 hours with the typical contraction like pain and nausea.  I'm a little concerned. What have other people experienced in terms of how long it took post-surgery to resume a totally normal diet and did you have to be careful of fiber?  How long did it take to feel your normal level of energy?  I went into surgery quite nutiritonally depleted and very thin . . .Thanks!!

As you may have heard Chronz affects everyone differently.  The same way you introduced food into your diet before surgery you have to reintroduce it post surgery.  You're never going to know how a food affects your stomach unless you try it.  I find that when I eat 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day, I have fewer visits to the bathroom and less watery stool.  Go slow and remember Chronz loves water because it flushed the system so drink plenty of water.
I just had a small bowel resection a week ago. I wanted to ask you about pain. Im not really having incisional pain but I am having pains inside. Did you find that you had pain internally in sites away from your incision? I have found also that I do not tolerate dairy at all. At least I think I dont. Everything I eat right now goes right through me like water. Im actually pretty miserable and wishing I hadnt had the surgery. Will it get better?