Recovery from a resection
I had my ileocolicresection done on Dec. 13 2012 and the surgery went well and I was discharged from the hospital 6 days later. Before surgery I was on prednisone for over a year, but usually it was a low dose like 10mg. My surgeon discharged me with a prednisone taper starting me with 20mg and every 5 days going down 5mg, so after 25 days I would be off of prednisone. I had my 3 week follow-up with my surgeon and the incision sites look great and she cleared me to go back to work and do half days. I completed my first week of half days and on Friday I started to experience abdominal pain on my right side away from my incision site. I thought I over did it and was pushing my self, so the whole weekend I just laid in bed to let my body heal just thinking I did too much within that week. Monday comes and now the pain is getting worse, so I go into my primary doctors office and they run a couple of test and everything is normal, but the CT scan shows active crohns in the cecum now! Can I really get active crohns after 4 weeks post-op and be symptomatic? I am currently at 0 with my prednisone and everytime before surgery I would get on a low dose I would flare. I am curious to see if anyone has had a recurrence with crohns so soon after surgery or is this abdominal pain the incision site inside my belly, and now that I am off everything am I feeling the surgery? This is my first resection and I was Dx with Crohns in March 2012. Any advice would be great thanks.
Usually that soon after surgery, you call your surgeon for a recheck from him or her.