Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Remicade & shortness of breath

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Remicade & shortness of breath

My daughter had her 4th or 5th remicade infusion last Friday. Each time she has developed episodes of shortness of breath, lightheadedness and feeling faint about 5 days after the treatment. The bouts come and go for 2 or 3 weeks. They are severe enough that she becomes afraid to go to sleep because she startles awake feeling as though she has stopped breathing. Needless to say, this is ruining her freshman year of college. (She is in bed early for a college kid, 10 or 11 p.m., and exhausted most of the time.)

Is this shortness of breath/lightheadedness a side effect of the Remicade? If so, what do we do?  
I understand what you mean by all these side effects. I get like this during and after the infusion but only for that day. I think it just depends on who you are and how you respond to the medication. Maybe her body is still getting used to the meds, you never know with meds like this it could take up to the 10th one to feel okay. On those days I just take it easy and I do drink lots of fluids on that day as well. I dont eat much I do lose my appetite. I get a lot of rest in. It does give me and excuse to sleep all day :)
Maybe she is allergic to the remicade.. Do they give her Benadryl before the infusion? I am always given that because I start the infusion. You should consult a doctor
Yes, she does have the Benadryl. Also she takes a dose of prednisone 4-6 hours before because she did have a negative reaction on the 2nd infusion. She is usually pretty tired the day of treatment and sleeps for the 2 hour ride home. We will talk to the dr. @ her next treatment in April.

Thanks for your input!!!
I see this was posted in 2010. How is your daughter doing now? My daughter is 14. She has only had 3 infusion treatments so far and is experiencing the exact symptoms you mentioned along with chest pain that comes and goes.