Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Ulcerative colitis

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Ulcerative colitis

A month ago I had blood in my stools with severe abdominal cramps. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in early stage. Right now I am talking Lialda 1.2 mg 3 tablets once a day. The above symptoms have totally vanished. But literally I am not eating any spicy food or fibre food. I want to know the diet plan.I really lost weight. I have a new problem past 2 weeks. Every morning around 6.30 am or so i have a contracting pain in my lower left ribs. It's very stabbing and also I have lower back pain. The later after I drink and eat something and do my daily work it disappears for the rest of the day. Sometimes in between I feel a pinch on both sides but that is not so troubling. I am so feeling dizzy especially in the morning and late evening. Could anyone please help me out with this. It would be highly appreciated. Thank you
Hi there!

Your current symptoms sound like gastritis and could occur due to improper food intake. If the acute phase is over you could possibly switch to a fiber diet as well, however this is best decided after consultation with your treating gastroenterologist after a detailed evaluation. I would also suggest consulting a dietician/ nutritionist to chalk out a diet plan for you. Meanwhile I would suggest taking small portions of food at regular intervals.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
It’s much better to have UC then Crohns. I can speak as someone that suffers from this disease.
I have had UC for thirteen years now. I was diagnosed at age 33 while raising three kids on my own. The youngest was 1 1/2 yrs old. It was tough when I first was diagnosed. Back then they had less medications and my doctors at that time didn't give me much information about this disease. He just said this is what you have and gave me a lot of medications that made me sicker. I was breaking out in rashes and losing tons of weight.  I looked anerexic for a while. Then they put me on prednisone for too long and that made me crazy. So I was left in the dark about what I had. I asked if I should be on a special diet but I could never get an answer. I had one GI doctor stand across the room from me and tell me I don’t have UC and to stop taking my meds I was fine.  He never examined me or looked at any of my test results.  That was crazy. Can you imagine if I had listened to him? I had to do a lot of research on my own to find out what was happening to me. A lot more research and recognition about this disease has been done and more information about UC is available now.

Since that time I have been on medications and I have had my ups and downs with periods of remission where I wasn't taking any meds for a two year period. Unfortunately the symptoms returned and I had to return to taking my meds. My advice to you living with UC you have to make yourself a priority and take very good care of yourself. It's not a death sentence to be diagnosed with this illness but it’s a life sentence. You have to realize this disease is not going to go away. After you have had UC for over ten years you have to have a colonoscopy every two year. This is something you get used to after a while to where it is not a big deal. My main point is to be your own patient advocate. If something doesn't make sense to you then ask questions and/or research it for yourself. There are a lot of foods that are anti-inflammatory which can help in easing the inflammation in your gut. Aloe Vera is very good for inflammation it come in juice form.  After a while you will know which foods to avoid. Expect to have pain that is part of the illness.  Living with UC is difficult at times but it is a condition that can be managed as long as you take your meds and watch what you eat and make sure you have a good GI doctor. I have gone through several but now I have a pretty good one.  Good luck and remember to take good care of yourself.
I am also patient of UC and because of UC i am also suffering from PRIMARY SCLEROSING CHOLANGITIS.my ERCP and COLONOSCOPY tests done twice.2 years back my whole life change in just 2 months. :(