Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Unknown Pain

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Unknown Pain

Can anyone helps me?

I am 22 year old female who for the last year have experienced acute abdominal pain twice ending up in hospital, last year October i was in and out of hospital for 8 weeks and the only thing they put it down to was appendicitis, i have since experienced it 5 or 6 times just not as bad but two weeks ago it was extremely painful and i went to the hospital with it again and was put in a gynecology ward had an ultrasound done with 'normal' results then a diagnostic laparoscopy with the same results, this pain is effecting my ability to work as my job involves me to stand up all day and i am hunched over in pain all day with this pain. The hospital sent me home because they couldn't find anything life threatening but i need to know if anyone out there is able to give me ideas as to what could be causing me so much pain??
Thank you in advance...
have they checked your gallbladder? could be gallstones
they did mention that from the ultrasound it looked 'normal'. thank you
what does the pain feel like? my mother experiences intense abdominal pain without a known cause for the last few years, it comes without warning and leaves just a quickly, she ends up in the er sometimes but doctors can not explain it. she says it feels like someone has kicked her in the stomach, and air is ripping through her, with tenderness after the attack. does any of that sound familiar?
almost exact except i get extreme stabbing pain aswell, its really hard to have to work in that much pain and also very stressful on relationships with loved ones, they find it hard not being able to help and getting angry at doctors arent helping. THANK YOU for making me realize im not alone it helped heaps!!!!!!!
I had the same thing for years. Went to the ER they thought it was my appendix and it wasnt. After all the blood work and pushing on my stomach they sent me home saying it was cramps. Which i know what cramps feel like and this felt like something was trying to tear through my stomach. I went to a gi doctor he did a colonoscopy came back fine, blood work showed crohns and an upper GI showed narrowing. So for years of dealing with this pain they finally figured out it was crohns. Now i just started medicine for it and am still feeling the same pain. Hope everything gets better for u!
My wife had the same thing happen until her 4th GI finally made the diagnosis with Crohns.  She was 23 when she was diagnosed.  She had symptoms for years and they chaulked it up as IBS.
Thank you both, i saw another Gynecologist and shes referring me to get a Colonoscopy done so im hoping this will give me answers..... Ive had 3 weeks off work already and am generally hunched over in pain most of the time.... im getting sick of no one wanting to help me but thanks you both for telling me your stories
You might also enquire about having an upper endoscopy done...this looks at the small intestine, where Crohn's usually starts (and doesn't always go to the colon).

Another test (non-invasive) is a calprotectin stool assay test.  If the calprotectin level is elevated above the norm (I think it is 8) this shows inflammation somewhere in the gastro-intestinal tract.

Besides regular blood tests (CBC etc.) perhaps the most important inflammatory marker is C-Reactive Protein level.  The norm is 0.1-5 - when my Crohn's flares, it goes up really high - 6 weeks ago mine was 190 and I needed to be hospitalised for dehydration and to recommence Infliximab. When I had a really bad flare last year, some 6 months after my first resection (right hemi-colectomy) it was an incredible 260 - my gastro treats a lot of Crohn's and UC patients, and he said he had never of a C-RP being so high.  IV antibiotics, methotrexate injections and Infliximab infusions brought the level down, but it was touch and go at the time.

I hope you get a specific diagnosis soon and can get onto proper medication.

Liz.