Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
can Crohn's cause infected eyelids?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

can Crohn's cause infected eyelids?

My fiance was diagnosed with Crohn's when he was19,and have to have about 50% of his digestive tract immidiatley removed. That was about four years ago and he's been in remission ever since.

About a week ago he got a stye in one eye. Everything seemed pretty normal so we didn't pay all that much attention to it- until he woke up the next day with the fattest eyelid I've ever seen. It was very very sore, red, and swollen to about 5 or 6 times the thickness of a normal eyelid.
We took him to the doctors who gave him antibiotics. Those seemed to work until suddenly his hands started swelling up and he had  to stop taking them- even though he's not allergic to penicillin and has never had problems with antibiotics before.

We got him on some different antibiotics and the hand swelling went away- meanwhile his eye ended up swelling so much it burst. And then before that had healed, while he was still on antibiotics, the other eye started swelling up.

I was trying to figure out what was wrong, when I stumbled onto something saying Crohn's could effect your eyes?

I don't know much at all about Crohn's, I'd never even heard of it before we met.
Brett's not the kind of guy that pays much attention to his health- he doesn't take any meds or treatments, or even talk about it at all. So, because he's never had any flare ups, and it's never really seemed to affect him, I've never bothered researching crohn's until now. I kind of just assumed that the surgery 'cured' him.

I asked brett and it turns out that he's never researched crohn's either- all he knows about it is that it hurts. And aparently he IS meant to be on meds, and seeing a specialist every month, he just cant be bothered. (Silly, silly boy.)
Now I'm not even sure if he is in remission- he only uses the bathroom once a week tops,and when he does he's in there for half an hour or more. He seems to think thats normal?

So we're both completely in the dark.

From what I've been reading, it seems like crohns does effect your eyes- but more your actual eyeball itself than the surrounding area.
But then i found this forum, and I've seen a few of you talking about styes?

Could crohn's be causing the styes? Is it a flare up?

Hi there!

Well, crohn’s would not cause eye infection but could cause inflammation of the inner eye which does not usually present like a stye or eyelid infection. Brett’s symptoms could possible related to an allergic reaction or due to other systemic issues as well. He need not be on continuous medications for crohn’s, though regular visits to a gastroenterologist would be advised. You could read more about the condition online.
Hope this information is helpful.

Take care!