Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
cholecystectomy/UC

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

cholecystectomy/UC

I have been diagnosed with UC for 9 years with one serious hospitalization.  I am 36 yrs old, one child.  The past two years have been terrible with gastro problems oscillating between diarrhea and constipation but the specialists say it is not due to UC now but due to 4 large gallstones and a thickening but discintergrating gallbladder wall.  Three ultrasounds, but no hyda scan.  Lots of pain on my rt mid back - all the time.  Cholecystectomy 5 days ago and now I have more pain in the original spot and constant diarrhea.  Significant history of liver/colon cancer in immeidiate family.  There is a "spot" on my liver as shown by the ultrasound.  Now I am questioning the decision to do the cholecystectomy.  My mistake for not doing it earlier.  I am worried.  Will the absence of the gallbladder, not just place undue pressure on the colon (UC) but also on the liver???  

I think you are worrying about Too many things at once. I have crohn's mostly in my colon and had to have a colesestectomy because it got diseased as well. In the binning it takes a while to get your body used to not having a gall bladder. Diarhea (diarrhea) is common. You may be experiencing pain from nuke acid malabsorption. Before the surgery the bile acids were released at certain intervals. Without that all goes in at any time it wants. Talk to your doctor Bout drugs such as colestid others in that grouping. They bind to the bile Cid and help prevent diarhea (diarrhea).
You did the right thing to take it out. They would not have been able to do much else.