Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
chronic diarrhea and vomiting

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

chronic diarrhea and vomiting

I had intestenal surgery 5 years ago for divertculitis, diverticuloses and absesses. I had a colostomy bag for 8 weeks. Ever since I've experienced chronic diarrhea and vomiting. I have had 2 colonoscopy's and 2 endoscpy's along with cat-scans(5) along with countless blood test and ultra sounds. I was told they didn't know what was wrong with me. I was put on prednisone for a hip and lower back problem (I could hardly walk) and after 2 days my gastro problems were gone (first time in 5 years) I felt like a new person!! Long story short you can't stay on steriods for a long period of time, so after 10 wks on the prednisone I was feeling great (except the side effects from steriods). Anyway, I've been off the prednisone for 11 weeks and my diarrhea and vomiting are back. I have seen 7 dr,s ( I don't capitilize dr's, because the 7 I've seen are'nt worthy of that respect!) Can anyone help me? I would sure appriciate any input. Thank you in advance and I hope good health for you!!
Have you had any treatment with antibiotics during or after your surgery?
It is possible you may have H-Pylori Bacteria, which during your endoscopy, they should have taken a biopsy for, do you also have issues with gas and/or bloating. I would try purchasing a very good "Probiotic" from a health food store, ask the attendant for the one with the most bacterium, it is a possibility, that either from the cleansing process of the surgery, or the colonoscopy, that the good bacteria in your stomach or intestinal tract was killed off, and if you had the HPylori bacteria you would have excess acid build up, bloat and gas, youy would also be having a little pain in the chest area which would mean the stomach acid build up is burning your esophagus, I would ask your Gastrenterologist to retest you for Hpylori, it is a coomon bacteria, that if left untreated can cause ulcers and other problems. But until you see the Gastro, try the Probiotics, they may resolve your issues if they are minor. Best Wishes FTB4
Thank  you for your suggestions, unfortunaly I have been tested for H Pylori and every other test out there more than once. Again thank you for trying to help me.