could there have been an underlying cause for my colitis?
20+ years ago I was an energetic, vibrant career woman.  I gave birth to a child in 1988 and soon after began feeling just not up to par.  I was having increased fatigue and also an increase in my appetite w/o weight gain but did notice paler more frequent, voluminous stools.  My GP referred me to a gastroenterologist who found no conclusive causes for my symptoms after checking blood work and a stool culture.  Continued to trudge through my daily routines assuming the added responsibility of motherhood was the cause of my sub-par feeling.  Fast forward a few years after my GP finding no reasons for my lack of fatigue just tried to make do... in trying to keep up w/my usual routines I found that I was getting sick more easily and frequently with recurrent sinus and vaginal infections.  One sinus infection just wouldn't budge after a few rounds of antibiotics so my GP sent me to an ENT and after xRays suggested surgery or trying a round of steroids.  I opted for the later, less invasive procedure and almost immediately after beginning the Rx started noticing blood with my stools.  My GP referred me to a proctologist who, after examination diagnosed me with acute proctitis and prescribed steroid enemas.  These enemas exacerbated my bleeding immediately and the doctor told me that was impossible but should go back to my gastroenterologist.  Upon doing so and having an exam was prescribed Asacol and have been on it ever since.  There have been other drugs attempted but my 'disease' has now spread to my left side and up to 9 asacol/day to keep the colitis in remission.
So, is it at all possible that there is an underlying infection/parasite that resulted in either a misdiagnosis or development of my colitis due to my reaction to steroids???  Is it at all possible that the stool culture missed something???