crohn's depression
Can anyone tell me what causes crohn's depression?
Not sure. When I got clinical depression some years ago, my gastro said it was due to an imbalance of chemicals in my brain. I had no reason to be depressed as there were no real stress factors in my life. He prescribed anti-depressants, and within a week I felt the "black fog" in my brain lift. I can't remember the name of the drug as it was many years ago. I have never had depression since. I was having many flares in those days and was on steroids - I don't know if the steroids caused the depression or whether it was malabsorption due to severe diarrhea. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will come along and explain it better.
Liz.
I have clinical depression and the onset was when I was first diagnosed with Crohns over 25 years ago.  I have been on anti-depressants ever since.  Even hospitalized for depression; however, there are now so many good drugs out there that really work.  It's finding the right doctor and then unfortunately, being patient enough to find the right meds that work for you.  I wish you all the best because I've been there and am still going through it.  God bless you.
I didn't know that deppression was linked to crohns. I started having deppression and panic attacks back in the 80's. I have always been on some type of mediciation for it. I do have crohns but only knew from 2005, but I had been sick a few times prior in the hospital and never found out til 2005 in the hospital. This doctor that I have is the only one who ever ran any tests besides regular tests, like draw your blood and take a stool sample. I always had a bacterial infection in my colon and they would give me antibiotics and send me home. Anyway, I would really like to learn more about the deppression with having crohns.

Having read these posts on here has helped alot. I hope to that you 2 will continue to talk about this and share more.

My 21 yr. old son is seriously deppressed and he reminds me of me. I hope that he doesn't have this.

Thanks and God bless both of you..........