Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
inflamed sigmoid colon

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

inflamed sigmoid colon

I'm not sure where to post this ?
yesterday I had a colonoscopy done. I'm 28 yrs old.
it turns out I have an inflamed sigmoid colon.
I'm not sure exactly how this happens or what the diagnosis is.
I have been looking online & I get multiple answers:
chron's disease, ulcerative colitis, Sigmoid colon diverticulosis, diverticulitis disease.
I'm sort of confused. If anybody has anything I would really appreciate it so much.
Thanks,
Bonnie

The doctor didn't come in after your scope to explain?  Do you have a follow up appt with your doc?  With UC, usually there is inflammation starting from the rectum and it moves upward in a contious motion but is confined to the large intestine.  With Crohns, the inflammation can be patchy from mouth to anus.  I don't know much about diverticulosis so I can't comment on that.  What were your symptoms that lead you to have a scope done?
Thanks so much for your response~
When I was in recovery my (G.I.) dr. said I had hemrroids & inflamed sigmoid colon. During the colonoscopy a sample was taken for biopsy.
I have my follow-up appt. on oct. 21st.
I'm not exactly sure what it is that I have, I tried looking up info & get all sorts of things.
it sort of worries me a little bit, in case it's serious. I don't mind waiting for my appt. with the G.I. dr.

with my symptoms: first of all I have endometriosis, so I wasn't sure if my symptoms were related just on endometriosis of the bowel, or adhesions. I made an appt. with my ob/gyn he said before he did anymore surgery for me to see a gastroenterology dr. to rule out other causes of my stomach pain.
lets see... I have stomach pain just before having a bowel movement, sometimes with a bowel movement, a lot of times I have a sudden urge to use the restroom after I eat & have a bowel movement. I don't have blood with bowel movements, sometimes I see a litle spot of blood when I wipe. I don't have diarreah (diarrhea).

So... I saw the G.I. dr. told him about all my stomach pain: like I mentioned above. & said my ob/gyn wanted to rule out other causes of stomach pain besides endometriosis.
then The G.I. dr. said he wanted to do a colonoscopy to see if there's anything going on.  

If you have inflammation only in the sigmoid but nowhere else in the digestive tract, it can indicate possible Microscopic colitis.  It can mimic Uc symptoms except for with MC there is a lack of bleeding.  With Uc, bleeding and diarrhea is usually a good indication of it being either Uc or Crohn's.  The slight bleeding you do see can be from your hemmeroids especially if it's a bright red and usually found just on the toilet paper.  Whatever it is you have, it doesn't sound typical of an IBD (Uc or Crohn's) so hopefully it will clear soon for you.  But if in the event it turns out to be an IBD, you have my sympathy and empathy!  I have had Uc for 17 years and it truly is not a good thing to have! :(
Ulcerative Colitis questions?
100,000+ doctor answers