Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
marijuana

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

marijuana

just wondering if anyone has or is using marijuana to help with battling colitis or crohns and if so do you find it helps, how often are you using it   (like daily or weekly) and also how long to use it for  (days, weeks, months  or just a one time thing) ?
Marijuana is just not going to ease or help Crohn's disease. While we are approved to use medical marijuana in some states, I really think its a bit of an exaggeration to argue for its usage for Crohn's disease.

If nausea is your issue, there are several medications out there that can alleviate this. Also, nausea is a sign that your disease is active, in which case marijuana will do nothing to cure it.

In regard to reducing inflammation, there really isn't any solid or reputable evidence that marijuana will do so. I'm all for the use of medical marijuana for patients that have cancer, AIDS, or more severe illnesses, but Crohn's in my opinion (and I have a pretty progressive case) just does not warrant it. I've used marijuana several times, and it actually exacerbated my symptoms.

thank you very much for your comments  they are greatly appreciated.
I am a 40 year old male who has Crohn's for years.  I disagree with tootaloot.  Marijuana has helped me a lot.  It reduces stress, helps control nausea, and helps me eat when nothing else will.  It also helps reduce joint pain.  If it was not for Marijuana I would weigh a lot less then I do and be in much more pain.  It is not for everyone as there are obvisouly side effects.  I would try it is a controlled safe environment surrounded by people who care about you.  Good Luck!!!
My son finds it helps tremendously with his colitis and I have seen some other colitis sufferers mention it helps.  It kept him in remission for a year and stopped the weight loss and joint pain.  My husband mentioned he'd read some scientific research proving that it can help with ulcerative colitis.
I have been seeing the marijuana discussion more & more. Like Tundra, I was wondering how often do you use it to notice a difference? Once daily, several times a day, weekly??? And have any of you mentioned this to your doctor? What was their take on it?
  I've been considering giving it a try. I am pushig 40 (pushing hard), and have had Crohn's for 10+ years. I would like a bit of normalacy back in my life. I admit I smoked pot in my teenage years, but that seems a lifetime ago. I know it's effects and am just worried that it may exasserbate the depression I already suffer from. Then again, if my body feels better, maybe the depression will subside. Kind of a gamble. Does anyone have any insight on this.
My understanding is that just a few puffs a day is all that is needed.  Most people I know who smoke have big grins on their faces :)
I use it everyday.  Just a few puffs is correct.
I have spoken to my doctor and he feels that it is fine as long as it is not to much.  He has some concern about the effects of the smoke on my intestines as any smoke can cause irritation and inflamation (inflammation).  Which is why smoking cigatetts is very bad for people with CD.  But with Marijuana the amount of smoke is minimal.  Good Luck!!  
Ulcerative Colitis questions?
100,000+ doctor answers