Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
my sister needs surgery and disability no insurance

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

my sister needed an emergency surgery after being in the hospital for 3 weeks,and was flown to the hospital to have part of her intestine removed, however the doctor didn't want to operate because she had no insurance and ever mounting bills. as a result she is on meds for pain, meds for the damage that drug is doing to her liver, meds for the osteoporosis which that drug is incurring, etc etc. she is in california, and is in such severe pain that she cant work. she really needs to be on disability but it seems there is no help for her anywhere.  also she needs to be on medicare but can't get much coverage- what are some avenues to try for her? she is so weak at this point that she has no energy to pursue these questions and so i am trying to help her. can anyone help with info or resources? thank you so much!
have you tried contacting the crohn's and colitis foundation?  They can be a good resource.  I've never known a dr to refuse to perform an emergency surgery due to lack of insurance.  She can come to Tuscaloosa, AL and go to DCH (Druid City Hospital) and they will do stuff for her all day long, insurance or not.  Now, they may not perform an elective surgery, but if it is something that will end her pain and discomfort, most dr's would go ahead.  Maybe CA is different.  I've had medical treatment for my crohn's without insurance at DCH.  My credit is now ruined, but they did offer to help me.  Has she seen any other dr's?  Do you have any clinics that specialize in indigent care?  For example, UAB Hospital has Kirklin Clinic that sees tons of patients that don't have any insurance.  There are options out there.  She may have to travel to reach them, but there are options.  She should not have to suffer.  Doctors take an oath to care for the sick and dying, and pumping her full of meds is not caring for her.  Try the Crohn's and Colitis foundation's website first. If I'm not mistaking, they have lists of hospitals and physicians for these cases.  Then, just get online and find all the hospitals and clinics that are within driving distance for her.  make some phone calls and ask lots of questions.  Someone will help her!  Please let me know what you find out....
The Dr and hospital can't use that escise for not having the surgery and they must by law to gve care no matter what. Plus the hospital can sign her up for state care like medcaid and other.
sorry misspell "excuse"
I'm sorry that your sister is having such a hard time.  I live in SD, but to my knowledge, they can't refuse you medical treatment anywhere if you need treatment.  My oldest son has juvenile diabetes, is 35, and I know he has over $500,000 in medical bills from surgeries, etc., and no insurance, but both hospitals here have never denied him treatment.  I wish I knew who to suggest that you call, but I don't know.  I do know that's awful for a person to be suffering like that and on top of it being denied treatment.  Like others have said, I'm sure that's not legal, and if it was me, I'd start with the hospital administration that's denying her treatment, and see what they suggest, or maybe contact the Dept. of Social Services in her area.  Please keep us posted, and I will keep your sister in my prayers, and pray that she gets the help she needs soon.  
Maybe you should try www.ama-assn.org, as they have a contact us area that you can explain your sister's situation and see what they say.  It's the web site for the American Medical Association, and I would sure think they'd know.  And like I said, I'd contact the DSS in her area, too.  Good luck, and please keep us posted!
Ulcerative Colitis questions?
100,000+ doctor answers