Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
pain? humira?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

pain? humira?

hey out there! i have had crohns for 10 years now. i just started humira yesterday.  anyway, what do all of you do for pain management.  narcotics are the only thing that kills the pain, but i don't know if thats the right course to go.. if anyone could tell me what they do, or what kind of narcotics work best for crohns, or if i have to live with this pain.
Tags: Crohns
  • Humira for U.C.? (2 replies):
    Is anyone taking Humira for their ulcerative colitis?
  • Humira (74 replies):
    Has anyone been on Humira and what kind of result did yo...[more]
  • Humira (1 replies):
    Anyone take Humira for Chrohns and develop High blood pr...[more]
  • Humira (8 replies):
    Has anyone used or is using Humira to treat Crohn's dise...[more]
  • HUMIRA AND CHRONS DISEASE (2 replies):
    I am having a hard time getting information. I have Chr...[more]
Well, narcotics work wonderfully for the pain, however you can't live life being on narcotics all the time.  How would you work/drive/care for your children if your head is clouded by narcotics?

I was like you - I had awful pain, started Humira and within a few months felt completely better.  I am still on Humira and haven't had any flare ups (fingers crossed so that I don't jinx it) for two years.  No guarantee that Humira will work for you, but just give it a chance and hopefully the pain will go away for you, too.
Hey There,
I too have had Crohn's for just about ten years and for those of you who have just been diagnosed, rest assured that you learn to live with these things.  True, they may be a bit unpleasant sometimes, but this is a very treatable disease.  You  just have to learn your body and your symptoms to learn how to control them and keep at bay.  I've been in remission for about two years - still have the occasional flare up but nothing that isn't generally speaking manageable.
It's nice to know that there is a community of people who are in the same boat.  Stay well -
Hi!
I too am on Humira and used to take oxycodone everyday for pain.  My doctor told me that pain meds, when used over a long period of time, can cause one to develop a "super-colon" which makes your Crohns symptoms worse.  I know it seems like forever but after 8+ weeks on the Humira, my pain is only present when using the bathroom. I also do acupuncture and when I was at my worst I was doing it 3x's a week. Maybe give that a whirl! Best of luck.