recently diagnosed
Had anyone had a diagnosis as UV then after blood tests it was changed to crohn's?  I realize they are similar but how will I get a correct and final diagnosis?
*uc not UV sorry
Hi there!

Yes, the two are similar and the differences lie in the location and type of lesions, systemic abnormalities etc. In a few cases it may be difficult to differentiate between the two and a generic diagnosis of 'Inflammatory bowel Disease' with increased symptoms of one or other may be given. I would suggest discussing the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating gastroenterologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
I have a hard time when someone write a status about the doctors changing a diagnosis..
I can't tell you how many times the doctors changed my diagnosis. For years I said I had crohn's just because I didn't want to be let down if I had it after all.
There's no genetic IBD problems in my family, but yet I have been suffering for 8 years and I'm only 19.

I know it is different here in Canada than it is in the US, but I didn't want to take this teater-totter diagnosis anymore. The team of GI specialists gathered all my lab work, my scope results, my biopsy reports, my CT scan.. EVERYTHING and sat down and discussed it. My doctor now says that I have UC and it will stay that way.

Funny thing, my brother started to get sick in the past two years. He's a couple years older than I am. His doctor diagnosed him with crohn's after two scopes.

Maybe it's just me, but for some reason whether it's UC, Crohn's or cancer I want the diagnosis to be definite. Check everything to make sure you will receive the right treatment.