teeth
Hi, my brother has Crohn's Disease and he just found out that all his teeth are rotting (he is only 29). Is this a symptom of Crohn's?
Thanks.
I have had Crohn's for over 15 years and was treated primarily by asulfadine and prednisone during the first ten years. 2 years ago I had to have all me teeth removed and replaced with a full set of dentures. It cost me over $10,000 and although my dentist was sure the problem was caused by long term steroid use, I could not get my medical insurance to pay for the dental work. I have also tested-2 on a bone density test, meaning at age 48, I have the bones of an 80 yr old. Steroids leech bone and calcium from your body. This includes teeth and bones. Let your brother know that full dentures cannot be used to eat, only cosmetically. They are not permanently attached to your gums and so can produce no viable chewing action, so I eat my meals at home, with my teeth out. If I have to go to a public place, I glue them in with fixodent and stick with soups.
Good Luck.
Mary