Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
terminal ileun crohns disease

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

terminal ileun crohns disease

my daughter aged 19yrs has just been diagnosed as having terminal ileum crohns disease, please can someone tell me is it genetic, as i have lots od abdominal pain and problems, what does this mean?? what will happen to my prescious girl??? anybody plz help???
It can be genetic but it's not always. There's still a lot to learn about Crohns. There's so many different variations of it. Some people might get one flare up and then go into remission or maybe never get another flare up. Some people have it all throughout there digestive system.
The terminal ileum is very common for it to show up. That's where I got my flare up. I had a mass in my terminal ileum (where the small intestine hooks up to the large intestine) and had it removed because it was causing a partial blockage. When the pathologists tested it they said it was Crohns. However, I seem to have gone into remission since then (almost 2 years later) and have felt pretty good since my surgery.
It just really depends on the person and how serious they have it. Since your daughter has already been diagnosed and you are experiencing symptoms, I think it would be a good idea for you to get tested as well.
Crohns can be problematic but it's not a life sentence. Most people can live perfectly normal lives with a few adjustments to diet and possibly medication.
You might want to check out this website for more information: CCFA - Crohns & Colitis Foundation of America.
I hope this helps. Best wishes for you and your daughter.
In regards to the previous comment about your issue, take caution, because it often depends on what your definition of "a normal life" is. However, the previous response is very true. There is still so much to learn about Crohn's Disease. Side effects vary from person to person just as the severity of the disease itself does as well. The best information I can offer you is this; find the most well known GI specialist (and pay for him/her if you have to), read some books, and look into 6mp, Remicade, and other immune-inhibitors.