Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
what is sigmoid colitis?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

what is sigmoid colitis?

i was diagnosed with sigmoid colitis after being in the hospital from 12/23-12/27/2011. i had a colonoscopy (my 1st one). i really wasnt told anything on discharge.  when i followed up in 2 weeks with my primary care, she told me the doctor dx me with "sigmoid colitis".  i see the gastro md. the 20th. when i search , i get several kinds of  stuff. i get chrons, ibd, diverticulitis..i dont know which is what...
has anyone had this problem?  please let me know what you have experienced and found out..
thanks
Tags: sigmoid
My brother had colitis, and people can often get it into a state of remission with a cocktail of drugs and diet, but there appears to be no specific fix per se. He ended up undergoing a cholectomy after many years of suffering, but that is not everyone's fate. Here's info from the web in case you haven't already found itl

The cause of ulcerative colitis, and IBD in general, is still unknown, although there are some theories. There is a genetic component to IBD -- you are more likely to develop Inflammatory Bowel Disease if a family member has it. However, the majority of people with IBD don't have a family history of the disease.

It is thought that IBD may be an autoimmune disease, and one theory about the cause is that it could be a result of an allergic response. Another possibility is that IBD may be caused by some combination of environmental factors. The actual cause of IBD could be a result of one or more of these theories, or there may still be a cause that research hasn't uncovered.

Treatment for Ulcerative Colitis

Medication: A variety of medications are used to treat ulcerative colitis. Medications fall into two categories: maintenance drugs, which are taken all the time to prevent flare-ups, and fast-acting drugs, which are taken occasionally to stop a flare-up.

Types of drugs commonly used to treat ulcerative colitis include:

Azulfadine (sulfasalazine)
    Asacol (mesalamine)
    Immunosuppressants (Imuran, 6-MP, cyclosporine)
    Methotrexate
    TNF-alpha inhibitors (Remicade and Humira)
    Corticosteroids (Entocort and prednisone)

Surgery: Surgery for ulcerative colitis is often called a "cure," because removing the large intestine effectively eliminates many of the symptoms of ulcerative colitis, such as diarrhea, bloody stool, and abdominal pain.

The most common surgery done to treat ulcerative colitis is a proctocolectomy with creation of pelvic pouch (j-pouch). During this surgery, the large intestine is removed and the last part of the small intestine (the ileum) is used to create an internal pouch. The internal pouch is then connected to the rectum, which allows for more normal elimination.

Proctocolectomy with creation of ileostomy is another surgery that is used to treat ulcerative colitis. In this surgery, the large intestine is removed, and a stoma is created. An ileostomy pouch is worn on the abdomen to collect waste.