Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
what to expect on Asacol

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

what to expect on Asacol

Hello everyone. I've recently been given Asacol to treat my crohns After being on olsazine for over 6 yrs (my body started rejecting it and made me worse) is anyone on this tablet? And what side effects have you had?
Julie
julie,
i was on asacol for years.  it helped a little at first but then caused more problems then what it was worth.  the doctors "dont know" for sure if it was the asacol or not but i will give you a heads up anyway.  i started taking asacol when i was 21 when i found out i had ulcerative colitis.  took it for 4 years max dosage and made very little difference. i went drinking one night first time in at least 6 months.  3 days later i was in the ER with pancreatitis.  they accused me of being an alcoholic after they accused me of trying to get pain killers.  once they got my bloodwork and my lipase count was almost a lethal amount they admitted me for 5 days.  lost 30 lbs in 2 weeks.  after all the tests they didnt know why i got it.  another year went by without drinking at all and i got pancreatitis again.  after the tests they said i had cancer.  another couple months went by and they retested and said it wasnt cancer but it might be my medication.  i quit taking asacol and havent had pancreatitis since.  they put on colazal or something like that and took it for a couple months.  i began to notice my hair was falling out.  i read the labels for both asacol and colazal and said may cause hair loss.  the rate of loss has decreased since i stopped taking both but it hasnt grown back.  damage is done.  i dont take anything now other then percocet as prescribed.  it is the only medicine that actually made a difference.  i also started smoking cause the nicotine helps.(i dont reccomend it though).  thats my expereince with asacol.  i know i wont take it again.  hope this helps
Tom