485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
A good reason to wash your face...lol
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
38 members

A good reason to wash your face...lol

9518816?1380295218
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn22227-rosacea-may-be-caused-by-mite-faeces-in-your-pores.html#.UkWgeX-MJhu

"There are tiny bugs closely related to spiders living in the pores of your face..."
That's disconcerting.
And there are tiny bugs that live in your eyelashes. There are bacteria that live in you gut. We are dependent on some of these 'bugs'. All things are interdependent.

Foods for thought~ who or what made you afraid of bugs ??
I recall the anti-fly campaign ( propaganda) films shown in grade school. I can still see the gross crawling maggots.
It was disgusting but what it really was about was how chemicals could make us safer. Nobody mentioned the damage these things could do to us in future years.
e has discovered the cause – and it isn't for the faint-hearted.

Tiny mites – eight-legged arachnids related to spiders – live in the pores of our facial skin. They are particularly fond of the hair follicles of eyebrows and eyelashes, and the oily pores most common on the nose, forehead and cheeks. Called Demodex, the mites eat sebum, or facial oil, and colonise your face at puberty.
Preference for stressed skin
They crawl about your face in the dark to mate, then crawl back into pores to lay their eggs and die. Healthy adults have around one or two mites per square centimetre of facial skin. People with rosacea, however, can have 10 times as many, says Kavanagh. Research suggests that the stress that causes flare-ups of rosacea changes the chemicals in sebum, making it better food for mites.
Demodex does not have an anus and therefore cannot get rid of its faeces. "Their abdomen just gets bigger and bigger, and when they die and decompose they release their faeces all at once in the pore," says Kavanagh. When the mites are numerous, he believes that the material is enough to trigger an immune reaction, inflammation and tissue damage.

Kavanagh notes that one kind of bacteria in the mites' guts, Bacillus oleronius, is killed by the antibiotics that work against rosacea, and not by other types of antibiotics. His lab reported in June that 80 per cent of people with the most common kind of rosacea have immune cells in their blood that react strongly to two proteins from B. Oleronius, releasing triggers of inflammation. Only 40 per cent of people without rosacea have this reaction.

Except for "June bugs" I am not afraid of bugs...no one taught me to be fearful except for a teasing uncle who used to hold them up to my face when I was little so he could hear me scream. (Gotta wonder about some people!)

I do not consider mites taking a dump in my pores as interdependent.

This earth mama draws the line at crap. lol
I really shouldn't have used the word 'afraid' and I didn't mean you specifically.
We, as a culture often view bugs in the negative.

I'll keep washing my face and if mites take a crap in my pores in-between washings, well I guess ignorance can indeed be bliss:)
LOL
Good info. I found out a few years ago that while hand washing is what is needed to prevent gerns, it also helps our immune system.

Our immune system is always working killing viruses etc constantly.
By washing our hands we give the immune system help in keeping our immune system working.

Thanks for sharing this, my Dad got an infection in his eye, did not realize it was serious until it was. He was told to use baby shampoo to wash his eyes with.  Funny he has rosacea too.. interesting
Dee1956 commented on WyoSue's status
Dee1956 commented on specialmom's status
Dee1956 commented on susan400's status