485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Chicago at it's finest
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
37 members

Chicago at it's finest

CHICAGO (CBS) — The President of the South Suburban Branch of the NAACP alleges a director of the re-election campaign of Barack Obama has threatened and intimidated him because he doesn’t support the president.

David Lowery says he believes he was threatened during a phone conversation with Louis Raymond, the Illinois political director for Obama for America.

Lowery says he doesn’t personally support the president because he’s not addressing issues important to the black community. He said he was explaining that to Raymond when the Obama campaign official told him, “You know what? I know everything about you.”

Lowery says Raymond added, “We’ve been watching you, and since you don’t support Obama, we’ll deal with you,” before hanging up.

Lowery filed a report with the Oak Forest police report, he says, “in case something happens.”

He says it was suggested the NAACP should automatically back the president. Lowery notes a non-profit cannot support a particular candidate.

He says it’s a clear signal the Obama campaign is concerned about the black vote.

Lowery hosts an internet radio program called “Let the Truth Be Told,” where he’s made no secret of his displeasure with the president.

Louis Raymond declined to comment. The Obama re-election campaign issued a written statement in response to Lowery’s claims.

“Unfortunately there seems to have been a miscommunication regarding this conversation and we have since discussed with the campaign staffer in an effort to clarify the matter. The President continues to support the mission and principles of the NAACP and the work they do,” the statement said.

Lowery says he’s not for Romney, either.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/10/04/naacp-official-obama-campaign-staffer-threatened-me/
"Miscommunication"?  That's funny....  
I heard just last night how some latino shop has gotten all kinds of threats from republicans for not allowing the republicans to use their business for a tool in the campaign. LOL, I guess that must be miscommunication as well.

Boy oh Boy I will be glad when this election is over! ROFL

Its getting too ridiculous all way around.
The process is too long.  And it is getting ridiculous....  There's just too much time for "journalists" to dig up some of the most meaningless BS stories out there.

Someone made a statement not too long ago about the whole election process taking a couple of months and very limited money.  I like that!  2 months, 2 debates (maybe), no money from super pacs...

With that said, I don't think it is above the NAACP to go after a black person who doesn't see eye to eye with them, but I wouldn't go as far as to try to make news out of it....
Well I agree, we need to get rid of the Citizens United Crap and put some limits on campaign spending, I cannot stand to watch tv anymore. Its just childish at this point.
Different for private citizens to do something then someone working directly for a campaign
I see your point.
Not right for either, but just a campaign should be above that
And here is another sweet treat! Geeze! Can we say power trip?

US Congressman Richard Hanna (R-NY) was seemingly displeased when he learned that a local television station in his district (the NY 22nd) was planning to air a debate he had refused to attend by allowing his challenger, Democrat Dan Lamb, to debate an empty chair.

Republican US Congressman Richard Hanna from New York's 22nd District.So what did Hanna do to rectify the situation? He called up Steve Merren, the vice president and general manager of Nextstar Broadcasting and parent the local affiliate WUTR, and threatened to pull all his campaign's ad dollars from the station.

“He indicated to me that we would not be considered for his ad dollars and our level of cooperation in the future could be affected,” wrote Merren an email to other station staff. Inadvertently, however, Merren also sent the email to members of Dan Lamb's campaign.

I think perhaps that is why we escape so much of the stuff you do in our election.  Campaign time is very short....2 to 3 months is about the maximum.  All the candidates really have time to do is put forward their agenda, and the incumbent winds up running on his record and future plans.  Social and religious issues are almost never even touched upon.  It's dryer, but I'm glad as we don't wind up with so much nonsense to weed through.
Thats what they need to do here as well. Its obscene the money that is floating around trying to diss each other and we have homeless living under bridges. Uggh
specialmom commented on melimeli's status
1 min ago
nursegirl6572 commented on 10356's status
specialmom, mikesimon, and nursegirl6572 commented on nursegirl6572's status