485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
D.C. council member pushes name change for Washington Redskins
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are determined to be argumentative, combative, or offensive. MedHelp has recently changed their Terms of Use; with the new format and other changes being made, this would be a good time to familiarize yourselves with the new TOU as well. You can access those via the following link: http://www.medhelp.org/legal/terms_of_use Name calling, ridicule and abusive language is not allowed (per MH Terms of Use); this includes the title of your thread. Any thread posted with derogatory name calling in the title will be deleted, no matter how informative your thread might be, unless it’s part of the published title of the article you’re posting…This type of abuse brings nothing constructive to the forum and serves only to instigate altercations. We are all adults and are expected to behave accordingly… Failure to comply with these rules will result in being deleted from the group membership list. You *must* post a link to your source or your thread will be deleted.

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
39 members

(CNN) – David Grosso, 42, was born and raised in the metropolitan Washington area so it's not tough to see why he's a diehard Washington Redskins fan. Been going to games since he was a boy. Season ticket holder.

But Grosso, like so many others, objects to the name and mascot of his favorite team.

"The term Redskins is a racist and derogatory term," he says.

These days, Grosso has the power to do something more than air his opinion. He was elected to Washington's City Council in November, and he plans to introduce a resolution Wednesday to rename the team to the Washington Redtails. That's a tribute to the Tuskegee Airmen, though, Grosso says, there are plenty of redtail hawks in the area.

He's open to other suggestions. He just wants the current name gone.

"District residents and their elected representatives should not tolerate commercial or other use of derogatory terminology relating to any people’s racial identity, or which dishonors any person’s race, or which dishonors the name Washington," Grosso's resolution says.

Grosso says his hometown, named after the nation's first president, has been dishonored by association with what many Native Americans call the R-word because it's just as offensive as the N-word.

“A good many Americans don’t know any Indians,” says Kevin Gover, who heads the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of the American Indian. “The Indian you see most often in Washington, D.C., is at a football game – at the expense of real Indians, real history, real culture. The petty stereotype has become expected.”

Gross says he has the support of eight of the council's 13 members; two more are leaning his way, he says. He has been circulating his proposed resolution to them ahead of a formal introduction. Grosso expects the resolution to pass, after which he will make sure team owner Daniel Snyder sees it.

Snyder has been quiet on the issue and thus far resisted, though efforts to get the name changed have gathered steam in recent months.

Amanda Blackhorse, a 31-year-old Navajo social worker, went to Washington in March to attend a hearing of the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She has petitioned to cancel the Redskins trademark on grounds that the name is racist. Suzan Shown Harjo filed a similar petition in 1992 and won, but later lost in the appeals process.

Also in March, several lawmakers introduced a bill in Congress that would amend the Trademark Act of 1946 to ban the term “redskin” in a mark because it is disparaging of native people. Among the sponsors of the bill is civil rights activist Rep. John Lewis, D-Georgia.

If passed, the bill would force the Washington football team to discard its trademarked name and ban the use of any offensive term in any future trademarks.

SOURCE: http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/30/d-c-council-member-pushes-name-change-for-washington-redskins/?hpt=us_t2
Looks like KC, Atlanta, Cleveland, Golden State, Chicago as well as a HOST of other US-based & international teams, are going to have to rethink their names as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_team_names_and_mascots_derived_from_indigenous_peoples

And in light of this Washington Redskins name-change, I think the Florida Marlins need to be asking themselves the question... are the Marlins after which we are named, offended?

Wouldn't want to go offending those fish.

And is God offended that Miami has a team named after something that he so gracefully bestows upon us? I mean, "Heat" for crying out loud! If I was God, I'd be offended that they're using the term so flippantly.

And don't get me started about how offended the sun would be, at Phoenix!!!
I don't even know what to say about this.  Really, people are fighting this in DC?  I understand that it is not PC, but there has to be at least one cause more worth while, isn't there?
College teams have changed names as not to "offend". People need to have a thicker skin and just roll with things.

Soon all teams are going to be called "The Pink Straight/Gay/Bi/Transgendered Nice Humans"
I'm offended by your use of the word "Pink", and so is Pink (the singer), incidentally.

I'll see you in court, Vance.
specialmom commented on KTowne's status
Apr 27
Barb135 commented on opus88's status
Apr 26
Dee1956 commented on fntn's status
Apr 25