485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Dems Stiffen Spine Against Trimming Benefits
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
37 members

http://news.yahoo.com/democrats-stiffen-spine-against-trimming-benefits-135744343--finance.html

This is the kind of stuff that is going to lead us NOWHERE.  Apparently, the exact same people who were willing to discuss the kinds of changes needed to make cuts, and partically revamp things like Medicare/Medicaid are now taking a hard line approach, mainly because, they have a political advantage to do so.

Medicare and Medicaid MUST be on the table and changes need tp be considered.  This is so disheartening.  

One excerpt:

"Just last year, Obama and top Democrats were willing during budget negotiations with Republicans to take politically risky steps such as reducing the annual inflation adjustment to Social Security and raising the eligibility age for Medicare.

Now, with new leverage from Obama's big election victory and a playing field for negotiations that is more favorable in other ways, too, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and other Democrats are taking a harder line.

"I've made it very clear. I've told anyone that will listen, including everyone in the White House, including the president, that I am not going to be part of having Social Security as part of these talks relating to this deficit," Reid, D-Nev., told reporters."

Looks like it may be more of the same coming down the line.  God, I hope these leaders (all of them) get off their stinking high horse and start doing what it takes.  You can't take a possibility out of the mix before even looking at it.  Unreal!

Yep... Here we are, 2 weeks down the road from the election and all of the talk that followed, saying that everyone was ready to get to work and compromise.... make progress.... and we are right back at the stalemate.

What a pitiful way to get this term started for these people....  Amazing what they were willing to do a couple of weeks ago....

Can't say I didn't see this coming.
I agree in that social security is not part of the problem and should not be part of the solution. It is a stand alone entity, leave it alone.

Other than that, spending needs trimmed as well as revenue raised. It is time to allow those bush tax cuts to expire, for everyone, reform the tax code, kick norquist to the curb and get down to some serious freaking gd business. It didn't keep people from hiring the last time we all paid taxes and it will not keep em from hiring now. Fear mongering doesn't cut it anymore and frankly, I think most Americans already know we are going to feel the pain, so come on! Over the cliff we go! They agreed to all this if they couldn't reach a compromise, which they have not, doesn't look like their going to either so be prepared to jump and put up with a few bruises people! I say lets do this! I'm tired of being held hostage to all the spin.
I'm just tired of the blame game.  Every single person in DC has a part in this regardless of their party affiliation.  They were elected to PERFORM and neither side is interested.  

I think the majority of those people are too comfortable in DC.  We keep electing these same people and we keep getting the same outcome.  Why would it change?
I actually agree with you teko!!!  I think if Americans cannot accept that we're going to have to take a hit to make things better, they're kidding themselves.

No one wants taxes to go up, but I cannot see HOW there can be even a DENT made without that happening.  I think it's inevitable.,..rip the bandaid off and let's do it.  Let's appreciate the breaks we've gotten in the past and realize that tough times call for tough measures.

These leaders in Washington (ALL of them) better start compromising.  The time for hard lines is over...if they keep that up, they're going to destroy this country.  And I'm sorry, but they're ALL guilty of it.  The president too.  His first public speech after the election was full of hard line stances, and a lot of tending to his supporters, when he should have at least taken a minute or two to acknowledge the other (almost) half of the country who did NOT vote for him.  We're all his citizens, and he needs to work to make us ALL feel like we matter, not just his supporters.

I'd like to see cutting start with things like drones, and the military invasions, oops, wars, we have going.

Bring those guys home and put them to work fixing our infrastructure.

Build bridges not bombs !
nursegirl6572 "You accepted less because ... Comment
24 mins ago
specialmom, mikesimon, and nursegirl6572 commented on nursegirl6572's status
27 mins ago
Dee1956 uploaded new photos