485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Election 2012
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
38 members

Election 2012

Figured maybe we could have a seperate thread to just talk about the election, the progress, numbers, our own experiences voting.  Our polls have been open for one hour and ten minutes.  I'm still in my jammies...my vote will be casted later on today.

No matter who prevails, I'm glad to be a part of this group, everyone is passionate in their own way, and I respect that.  

Let's do this!!!!!!

Much love to all...
Yes, time to vote!  Good luck to all in having a peaceful day and an easy time at the polls!
One hour into the voting and ALREADY their are issues in 3 or 4 states! Geesh!
The ones that can vote in NJ and NY by email and fax are not getting confirmations of their votes, Polling machines down already causing people to leave to go to work, LONG lines all over all ready.

If this keeps up, we will be waiting until after Thanksgiving to find out who won!

Just a few of those reasons that early voting was implemented. What a freaking mess! I gotta go to work. uggh!
Oh geez.  I'm sure those areas are going to have a hard time, no doubt...with the mess they have post Sandy.  Hope they'll get it figured out.  I really would prefer NOT to have to drag this out!!!  UGH!!

Everyone certainly needs to be sure they have the right to vote, no matter what it takes.  

I heard this morning that Romney to REALLY have a fair shot at this must win either PA or OH...OR a whole bunch of other states.  They also reported that Obama is ahead in the early vote, but much further behind where he was in 2008 (in the early vote).

This will be interesting to watch.  Romney is stopping in Pittsburgh today...maybe I should swing by.  Yeah right...I don't do well in crowds...lol.
I have been getting emails, calls to come help today in my area. Unfortunately I would much rather hold a sign than work, but I gotta pay bills first. Sorry Guys!

Of course its Ohio where the voting machines went down! They close their polls at 7? And we wont even talk about the mess in Florida! Egads! This is why I vote early. Me done!
Consider me VOTED.

Got my little sticker and everything!!!

This is my first time voting, as I was only recently naturalized, and I have to say... feels good to be an AMERICAN!!!

Democrat, Republican, Green, Independent, I don't care. We're all AMERICANS, and whoever wins the electoral-college, will be my President, and I will support and defend and attack and criticize and EXPECT him to do what's best for the country and all her citizens.

I am an AMERICAN... hear me ROAR!!!
Oh el, I am excited for you! That must feel awesome!
I just voted.  In and out in about 20 minutes.  There really is something exciting about voting on election day and going and seeing neighbors doing the same.  Now, I sit back and wait with donuts ready.  :>)
I tell you one thing I found disheartening on my drive home from voting.  I was listening to NPR and it is just nasty.  Democratic campaign officials were ripping Republicans and I'm sure Republicans somewhere were ripping Democrats.  It made me really sink in my optimistic feeling of a peaceful nation to be honest.  I'm sick of it.  I don't want a war between the parties anymore.  We may not agree on the vision but even in the areas of core principals of a party, I just want Republicans and Democrats to compromise.  It doesn't mean selling out to work on an issue to make more people happy with your stance.  I felt high from voting and then low from the reality of the situation.  That is unfortunate.  
That IS unfortunate SM!  Voting is such a privledge, we must hang on to that, and be proud of that!  There are lots of people in the world who get NO say at all!  I think sometimes, we take it for granted!

El, what a lovely post!  Congrats on your first vote!  Welcome to the USA!!!
Here's a link for you.......http://www.reuters.com/politics/elections-2012
I'll be voting this evening at about 5:30 MST.  I'd much rather be at the scout meeting that I am going to miss, to be totally honest.  I think a lot more good would come out of being at that meeting. (We've got 4 real talented (in their own ways and skills) and ambitious 15-16 year olds that stand to attain the rank of "Eagle Scout" well in advance of the national average age.)

Watching these young kids take individual leadership roles is very interesting and it is a pleasure to help work on each of their potential Eagle Projects.  So many good ideas coming from these young kids... so many!

With that being said, I am far more interested in the local elections.  I feel that is where real change will start and we've got some interesting choices to make here, on the local basis.  I'll be at the polls to cast a vote for the local and state elections more than the national elections.  On the state level, there stands to be some real change.... national level, not so much.  Potentially a face change and a different suit.  Even with that, politics will remain the same in DC.
That is AWESOME! So happy for you. Feels good doesn't it?!....I just voted:).....Now we wait!....It's gonna be either a short night IF the President wins Virginia (there polls close at 7pm) or a long night IF Romney wins Virginia....EXCITING!!!!....
Our troop meets on Tuesday nights as well!

We had an Eagle CoA a few weeks back, and had (2) cross over to the rank of Eagle Scout.

You've got (4-5) at the same time?!? That's AWESOME dude!!! The mark of a stable troop and adult leadership'core, is how many boys attain the rank of Eagle, so you guys must be doing something right.
President Obama will win his reelection bid... been saying it for months.

Now the question is... what's he going to do to unite the nation, and get the ball rolling towards economic recovery.

Foreign-affairs, immigration, healthcare, etc, mean ZERO, if the unemployment-rate remains as-is and the economy continues to stagnate.

Seriously, what's the point in having a phenomenal healthcare system, and be loved and adored by the rest of the world, and establish a 'path to residency' for our illegal aliens, if our country is financially in the toilet, and our CITIZENS and legal residents out of work and struggling?

At this point, I don't care WHO wins, as long as they start getting the country fixed.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/philly-gop-poll-inspectors-being-ousted-for-dems/article/2512714#.UJkm9sXA-4d

Court-appointed Republican poll inspectors are being forcibly removed from voting stations in some Philadelphia wards and replaced in some cases by Democratic inspectors and even members of the Black Panthers, according to GOP officials.

Secrets just received this memo from GOP officials:

The Philadelphia GOP is reporting that court appointed Minority (read GOP) Inspectors are being thrown out of polling locations in several Wards.

These Inspectors are election officials - again, court appointed -- and are reportedly being thrown out by the Head Judges of Elections (these Judges are elected Democrats) and being replaced by Democrats.

This has happened at the following locations:

Ward 32, Div 13

Ward 43, Div 14

Ward 56, Div 1

Ward 56, Div 22

Ward 32, Div 28

Ward 32, Div 28

Ward 12, Div 17

Ward 39, Div 1

Ward 24, Div 9

Ward 18, Div 25

Ward 43, Div 14

Ward 29, Div 18

Ward 65, Div 19

Ward 20, Div 1

Ward 6, Div 11

Another official told Secrets: "one of our female inspectors was physically thrown out."

Presidential candidate Mitt Romney decided at the last minute to make stops in Pennsylvania, believing that the race there was close enough that he could win.
Our pack meets on Tuesdays too.  Hm.  We are just little cubbies tho.
Congratulations on the first vote.  Feels pretty good to have a say in what happens, doesn't it?
This happened in the last election as well.

Might even have been the SAME polling locations as well. It was swept under the rug and labeled an "isolated incident" and nothing was done about it.

Do any of our Democrat CE-Forum members think this is as disgusting as I do?

Please raise your hand if you think this is outrageous.
About the scouting thing.... every single boy who is about to cross over is a boy that my wife had in her cub scout den.  There are about 5 other scouts below the above mentioned kids and recruiting seems a bit dismal.  

It does make you wonder how some polling locations run so smoothly and others are such a mess.  

Your wife, Brice, must have been a heck of a den leader.  You find more and  more kids drop out as time goes on.  Both my boys love scouting and I just see that they get a ton out of it.  Love scouting (even when they have bad press).  
I think if either the President is re-elected or if Mitt Romney is elected, congress is going to have to take a long hard look at itself and realize that this stalemate NEEDS to stop. I have hope that both sides will work together and keep this country moving forward...
Can not argue with that.  Agreed!
She was a good den leader.  (Until she had me come in and help the boys get their "whittling chit".  I had the whole group bleeding in less that 3 minutes.)  Really though, she's a genuine person who is genuinely interested in children, their development and their well being.

She's awesome!
Ha, that is so funny.  My son left with his dad for his Sept. meeting with a packet knife for the whittling.  He came home covered in band aids and now mama has the knife.  He'll get it back when he is 16.  My boy has fine motor difficulty and probably whittling was ambitious but I was thinking that Dad would oversee this.  Not so much.  

Ha ha.  sorry to hear that your whittling meeting ended in a bloody mess as well as my husbands.  Oh well.  God love you both for trying!!

A motivated den leader is a wonderful thing.  Thank goodness for people like your wife (and you for supporting her)!
Concerning NPR, I often have the radio on but not today.

I'm busy preparing a new canvas and trying to ignore the election having already  voted by mail.

Cheers everyone !
We had a little guy who had fine motor skills difficulties, but our group of kids always looked out for this guy so everyone was willing to pitch in and get it done for him.  He managed to get his whittling chit by exhibiting safe use and handling of a knife though.  
OK...Im off to vote....any last words?  Should I go armed in case there's a riot?  Should I accept monetary bribes???  
Well, it's a done deal!  I've casted my vote....add one to the R/R pile for PA!

Boy, I tell you...we've lived here for 11 years, that was the BUSIEST I've EVER seen that place on an election day!  2008, it was like a ghost town.  Today, there was nowhere to park!   Still, I was in and out in like 5 minutes.  Got my sticker and everything!  

Amen~~No black panthers, no white panthers, no blockers, no funny machines, no lines...just a few annoying neighbors I had to play nice with an an older lady who yelled at me for trying to take my sticker too soon (oops).  LOL...I should have taken her picture and posted online that she was trying to interfere with my voting.  Tee hee

(that's supposed to make you guys laugh...not being a snot)
Mitt is in Pittsburgh right now!  

I should have went.....bummer!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/11/06/mitt-romney-moved-by-surprise-show-of-support/

Go PA go!  Ohio or PA....he needs one of them!  
First numbers in...no surprises...19 Electoral votes to Romney, 3 to Obama.

Numbers will start rolling in....let the tension begin!
PA is off the Table..
That's a good sign.
So far, Nate is right on the money!
Good gosh, is this tight or what!  Romney goes up, then Obama goes up..yikes.  Even I am biting my nails!!
Looks like Florida will go to Obama, the parts that have not been counted yet are blue dogs.
I think Arizona and Mo will go red....Va has me biting my nails! I have a headache!
WOW...nail biter for sure. Could go either way, but it's looking a wee bit better for your guy!  I'm surprised PA wasn't closer.  Obama did really well here compared to what I thought.

I think OH will go to Obama for sure.  

It's crazy how early they call some states!  Like with 3% reporting, and close numbers!!  UGH!

This is one crazy race!!!!
It appears at this stage in the game anyway, that there was lots of money spent to remain at status quo. Republicans maintain the house, dems the senate.... What a waste of bucks.
This is the craziest election..It is real time voting......People are still in line. This is one definitely for the books....
Nate is right on the money....
I cannot take the suspense so I am not watching. I will just follow your comments so keep them coming!
So although I've paid attention to US politics for quite a few years, this year I find I am paying more attention to the process.  If I am understanding correctly, each state is worth X amount of electoral votes? and that number is based on population, correct?

That's kind of the same as ours.  Each province is divided into what we call ridings, and there are X amount of ridings also based on population.  Only difference here is, here you vote for the local candidate in the party you want, and whichever party wins the most ridings wins.  So you don't actually see the potential Prime Ministers name of the ballot, unless you happen to be voting in his home riding.  Other difference here is that because we have multiple parties, the party that wins can easily not have a majority gov't.  So even though they had the most ridings, the other parties combined could have more then the winner.  I think that is similar to you having a President from one party, but a house or senate where the majority is the other party.

Do I have this right?
I've been avoiding looking.
Polls haven't even closed here and I do wish they'd wait until everyone was finished voting, but that's not the way they play the game.

"I am paying more attention to the process.  If I am understanding correctly, each state is worth X amount of electoral votes? and that number is based on population, correct?"

Correct!

"Do I have this right?"

Bingo!...You catch on really fast Amanda:)
Last call was Missouri for Romney and Minnesota for the President...score is Obama 172 and Romney 184
That is a beautiful description of your wife and your admiration for her.
This sort of appreciation even from the best of men is uncommon, I think.
California, Washington, Hawaii goes to  Obama -Idaho goes to Romney..

Obama- 243 Romney-188
Wait, this is the latest-I jst looked and Romney was ahead..?
They haven't counted states such as us, California yet. The guy on the radio just said Obama is in the lead.
I still wish they'd just wait and tell us when it's all over.
He has won OHIO! IT IS OVER!!!
Huffingtonpost just said Obama won.

And more good news, Akin and Murdock both lost.
274 for Obama, 201 for Romney.  That's closer then 2008 isn't it?
GOD, that was soooo confusing!!!!!

Looks like it's over...congrats you guys!  I don't think any of us were surprised, lol.  I'm glad it was such a close race, though!  

Now, here's to the future, and hoping and praying the elected officials work together...and I PRAY our country can come together and bridge the partisan gap.

Congratulations to President Obama for winning 4 more years.

(Whew, glad that's over!!!!...lol)
I'm anxious to see the final numbers for the popular vote...bet it's super close.

Crazy how it went back and forth!  YIKES!
You my friend have class.  You truly do.

Congrats Mr. President and the Dems - I'm happy for you!

Now I too hope that the two parties can sit down and work out their differences.  I hope to see the US back on track and thriving!!  
Aw, thanks Amanda.  I'm okay with it.  The people have spoken, and I respect that.

:0)
Working together~~I love the sound of those two word:)
words~
Wow!!!
:-)
So very awesome! I
<3
Good grief.  I'm watching CNN and the commentators from the two sides are bickering already about who tried harder to work together and who's fault the various problems are.  Come on media, give these two parties a chance!  I can't believe it, not 20 minutes after they declare Obama the winner.  Puleeze!
Just heard the Romney camp is saying it's too premature to call OH.

Sigh.

I'm all for accuracy, and I DO think the media jumps the gun however....sheesh  They're saying Obama is up by 20,000.  Most of the evening, he's been up by 5-6%.  I'm not seeing how there is a question.

I've conceded.  :0)
Florida is only a 1% difference.  Could that change anything, or was Ohio really the decider?  I admit, I am having a tough time figuring out how they can call it, but I don't completely understand all the numbers.  They did seem to call some states awfully early.  I'm going to watch a bit longer....I am hoping to be able to stay up late enough to watch the President and Mitt Romney speak.  I suspect that when Mr Romney concedes, he will do it with class.  I may not always have agreed with all of his statements and beliefs, but he carried himself well and I think he's a kind man.  I think he will be nice about it and wish the President the best.
The media is at fault for half of the negativity in this country--they think that is what we want.
Okay, now that he is in, he will have a lot to live up to...
I am really amazed that OH went for Obama.
Maybe it was the Bain Capital issue.
They just said that Romney still isn't prepared to concede.  Do you think there might be a possibility he is right?  It is awfully close in OH and FL.
Yea! Team Romney is not conceding OH yet!...
I'm not seeing that
Oh wow...sec of state in OH said its not official, and Romney is actually ahead in OH right this minute.

Even WITH OH, he'd have to win FLA AND VA right?

Christ...I need alcohol!!!!!!
It IS awfully freaking close...I think even with waiting til the bitter end,. it will go to Obama.  The *bleeping* media is ridiculous!!!!!!  If Romney wins OH in the end,. the media outlets should be sued...thats nuts.
I'm so confused.....very very confused.  I have been channel flipping, and all the channels, even FOX are calling Obama as President.  They wouldn't do that if it wasn't for sure right?  CNN hasn't actually called Florida yet, but they are still calling Ohio Obama.  I'm really really confused.  
Ok, so say a state has 10 electoral votes.  Can one candidate win 6 of them, the other 4?  Or is it just the candidate that wins the most electoral votes automatically takes the state and all the electoral votes?
Thank you so much for these questions..I am learning
No, a candidate always gets all the electoral votes
  Yes hopefully regardless of outcome the election will be decided within a reasonable time frame as prolonged contestations tend to detract from the process. Also they impede follow up on very real world issues such as stabilizing regions affected by the hurricane and issues that affect everyone such as the economy and national security. I also agree with the posts that the Senate and house of representatives should be more cooperative. As well as its important to remember as sometimes as regards the national election and politics on that level that there can sometimes be a degree of cynicism (sometimes well founded) to follow up on local and state elections and propositions (in states that have them) as there people are more likely to have input.
I hope my questions aren't irritating. I just find is so interesting.  It's different here.  You get credit for each riding you win, end of story.  So if Alberta gives 10 ridings to Liberals and 15 to Conservatives, then that is how it is divied up.  So this is different for me, and I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer for me.  Thanks!
The math isn't there. Colorado just went to the President
Yeah, most channels have called it for Obama.

To be fair, right now, Romney is ahead in the popular votes, which of course, we know doesn't decide the election, the electoral votes do.

If OH is putback into play, I BELIEVE Romney would have to win in VA and FLA...where the races are also neck and neck.

My gut says Obama will prevail, but not by much, I still think they called it too soon...makes Romney look bad, because he isn't conceding.  When they called it, I thought OH was at like 95% reporting and up...it wasn't...I think it's at 70-80%-something, and right now R is leading.

They predict based on the votes that are still to be counted, and in those areas, if they are typically red or blue.

Really frustrating.
Wow!  They said they called the election for Obama and people in Florida were still in line to vote.  That seems odd to me?
Anyway you look at it, in the actual number of votes cast, the President is in the Lead....Only by 20,000 but he is in the lead
Amanda they called it because he reached 270 electoral votes...The people in line could still raise his popular vote margin to surpass Mitt in the popular vote...
Not annoying at all Amanda, its very confusing!!!

I almost think it would be easier to go by popular vote (not to mention it would make more sense).  Presidents have won elections by electoral vote, but won by popular vote...that may be the case here too.

Ms. P...I agree...the ways R could take it are about done.

They didnt call FLA or VA right?

If R gets those AND OH, can he pull it off, or does it still go to the Pres?

I agree that I hope this isn't one of those debacles where we dont have an answer for days or weeks.  Sigh.

The Congressional elections were interesting to watch as well tonight.  Of course, we re-elected Bob Casey...ick ick ick.  LOL  (Not that I liked the alternative much...ew)

LET'S GET THIS OVER WITH PEOPLE!!!!!!  OH needs to count faster and call it officially.
Anyway you look at it, in the actual number of votes cast, the President is in the Lead....Only by 20,000 but he is in the lead .

In OH?  I see R in the lead.

Stupid media.  Seriously, like WHO do you watch you know????
Fox just called Obama won in Ohio.  And I am pretty sure they wouldn't if there was any chance at all of it going to Romney.  Honestly, I was sort of waiting for Fox to call it to 100% believe it....lol.

Thanks again to all of you for answering questions for me.  I know it's a big night for you folks, so I doubly appreciate it.
NO. I just thanked you for the questions..the discussion clarified some things for me. Please keep asking
They just said Maine approved same sex marriage!  Yay Maine!!! (sorry, that one is a big big deal to me.  Love seeing more states legalizing!)

It also just said that Colorado becomes first state to legalize marijuana for recreational use.  That's an interesting one to me.....
with fl and va he only gets 29 and 13 which only gets him to 245 even with Colorado 6 electoral votes he only gets to 251.....
Obama is ahead now in the popular vote by 35,000 votes.  

So MrsP, what if Romney also wound up taking Ohio.  How many votes is that one worth?

It still sounds like Romney is not conceding.  
Thats what I thought, Ms. P...is that with OH too figured in?  If R wins all three...is it still not enough?  Or is it?  If it is, I can see waiting.  Right now, OH is at like 82% reporting.

Crazy...if we went by pop vote, Romney would be ahead.

I need to go to bed, grrr.

I'm sure that concession call isn't easy to make, especially in a race so close!

Good news for women...I think like 6(?) more added to congress?  That's great.

House will be controlled by repub, Senate dems...right?  Or, are we waiting for more numbers?  LOL

Anywho...my congrats still stands.  I'm a realist.  If Romney pulls it off, it will be unusual...but I'll be shocked (and happy).  Geez, if that WOULD happen, I really fear the outrage!  :0(

Going to try to sleep...it's been fun guys!  
CBS just said VA goes to Obama.  IF thats true (lol)...its really over!!!  Oh doesn't matter anymore.

Im going to bed!
Well the only 2 states left now are VA, and FL..So even if you give Mitt OH, the President still wins with out the call of  OH Va and FL
I need to go to bed too, but I so wanted to hear the speeches.  I'm giving it a few more minutes, but am having trouble staying awake now.  
It might be a long night guys because Romney has to concede first so it depends on Romney...
If he does it soon I can still get 7 hours sleep...lol.  Sounds like a lot, except that Ryder got me up at 4 am this morning....ugh.  I'm wiped.
Mitts concession speech was on point!...It was REALLY genuine....Good job Mr. Romney.....
I agree MrsP.  He showed real class and I too believed him.  He sincerly wished the President well and said he would pray for him.  He fought the good fight and someone had to lose.  I like the way he handled that, and respect him for that.
I missed it..I am sure I can find a rerun.
I am very proud of him that he handled it like a mensch.

I hope in future elections everyone, especially the media will change the way they cover the campaign.  I think everyone in this country felt inundated by the constant and unrelenting barrage of information and misinformation.
So glad it is over.
Yessss... Thank god it's over!....
Congrats to Obama supporters.  I went to bed before 10 as I'm trying to get better from being sick so missed the concession speech but see that Obama has been re elected.  

Yes, I'm so glad it is over.  For sure.  
I, too, went to bed earlier, because I'd been up since 3:30 am, so missed all the speeches...  Congratulations to President Obama and to everyone who supported him.

Yep, glad it's over.  Even on election day, I got no less than 8 (yes, that's eight) political calls, *after* I voted........... that's just too much!!  
I fell asleep after they called Ohio. Am I understanding that florida is still out? When I went to bed people were still in line to vote!
I just want to say that I think we have a very classy bunch of people on this forum. You guys are awesome!
Ahhhhhh.

I have a commentary.  :0)

Really really REALLY relieved that's over.  What a long, hard, and sometimes NASTY battle, huh?

I truly think the republican party is going to have to start becoming more moderate, in general, or we're going to end up being (and staying) the minority party.  The next race (ahhh!) will be interesting....I'm sure both sides are looking for front runners already.

I think the people spoke last night...Murdoch and the other clown paid for their remarks (as they should have).   We elected the first openly gay congresswoman, and legalized MJ in 2 states.  Those who came before us, who lived (as adults) through the 60's and 70's....are beaming with pride I'm sure.  I think it DOES show progress for our nation, at least with tolerance, and acceptance.  We also have the HIGHEST number of women serving on congress EVER.  That's great.

I also think (and hope) that the neck and neck nature of the race opened the eyes of not only dems in general, but also Obama.  He didn't win by nearly as big a margin this time, which could indicate that a good number people are NOT happy with the past four years.  He deserves to celebrate, and he earned it, fair and square, but I hope he keeps those of us who DIDN'T choose him in mind as well.  I think ALL presidents have the obligation to cater to those who support him, and the ones who don't, or the ones who have lost confidence in him.  BOTH groups are important.

I think Romney's concession speech was genuine, and he DID give it an amazing shot.  I've thought from the beginning of this campaign that Obama would prevail...I never thought Romney would be that much competition to him.  Again, just watching democracy in action made me proud to be an American.  I'm proud he did as well as he did, and I still stand firm in my decision to vote for him.  I know he didn't always do a good job of gaining the confidence of people, and he DID tend to move toward the middle as the campaign went on, but I DO firmly and honestly believe he had great ideas and would have been a good president.  I hope Obama will consider some of his ideas for the economy.  He DOES have an amazing history as a business man.  The man knows how to make a dollar grow...we need that.

I hope that people don't pout, or continue the mudslinging.  No time to be sore losers here!  Time to hold our heads up high, and accept that Obama is ALL of our president.  We need to come together as a country, and learn to compromise.  Maybe if WE did it, our leaders would stand up and take notice.  Money running DC is its downfall...it keeps politicians obligated to special interest groups, and campaign funders...that's not right....they need to be obligated to US.

Lastly (in my very wise commentary..lol)...looks like the Tea Party took a hit, and for that, I'm actually very glad.  We need leaders to want to come more to the middle...not farther to the right (or left).  They didn't fairly represent most average repubs out there, and their statements were not something most of us would ever support.

So, my dem friends....celebrate and be proud today!!!  You've earned it. Now, we can get back to talking about important things, like the Kardashians, and sports!  ;0)
I think that on a day that there are winners and losers it is really important to remember that we are all winners for being American.  We are ONE nation that I have high hopes for.  PollyAnna aside, I do so hope the best for the next 4 years.  (may we not go bankrupt.  :>) )
Now all the politicians just need to shake hands and get to work!

And I agree - a very classy group here.  Everyone is being very gracious regardless of what side you voted.  Love it!!
Walked into the polls, had to register, show my ID and proof of residency in the county, wait in the lines and the whole process took less than 17 minutes.
(Miserable process.... it took longer to get fuel.)
My voting experience was also pretty quick.  

I do want people to get along and work together.  But the ideals are so different, it is overwhelming me to think about what is ahead.  
The ideals are so different and as we've talked about, there has to be some common ground somewhere near the middle, but that would that some people (on either side) would have to be willing to compromise.  I think the fear there lies in the fact that they feel they would be compromising party line morals.....  In my opinion, and maybe this is too simplistic.... There is right and wrong.  Doing nothing is wrong... trying something and even if it doesn't work gives us something to work with, and that would be a big step in the right direction.

The question is, how do we get these people to get to work?  We keep electing the some officials in DC, the very ones that are responsible for this stalemate/gridlock.  Their willingness to do nothing should be a real quick indicator that this person needs to go....  I  think too many people still hold the party line.....

Now, we can get back to talking about important things, like the Kardashians, and sports!  ;0)

Ha! So glad I don't have a television! *What* does that pretty woman do besides being pretty and rich? And *why* do people care???
I don't really want to go off on a tangent discussing that nonsense, just shaking my head.
I love watching the Kardashians. They are good reality tv...lol
I'm with you, I don't get it either.  Frankly, I don't understand the point of most of those reality shows and just can't be bothered.  The odd time I have watched, I've just been confused.....lol.  But hey, I now know what a Snookie is!  
Poor you! You could have lived without knowing snookie! LOL...She is what we call in the old country. a ho is a ho is a ho, but now its popular! What was once bad is now good and what once was good is now bad. I think I will stick to the csi and ncis programs. Much more entertaining I thinks! lol
NCIS is a favorite of hubbies and mine too.  I like Law & Order as well.  Haven't watched CIS in a while, but maybe I'll pick it back up again.  Sounds like we have similar taste in shows!!
I like law and order and one of my favs, major crimes has all but disappeared in the last couple of weeks. :(  I also like that new mob doc show? Its good too! Voice, dancing with the stars, nah, entertaining but not on a regular diet of it. LOL  Great minds think alike!
I enjoyed NCSI too, until I started dreaming vivisection in technicolor...scary.
Law and order I watch on netflix sometime with my computer. Love Goren on CI and Ice T and Munch...wonderful characters. It was actually this show that made me stop thinking of police as a hostile element in society. I came to appreciate the challenges they face.
Nowdays, Jane Austen movies...I am a bit of an anglophile, love BBC.
Hm, I like some Bravo tv shows which aren't really intellectually stimulating.  Here's why in all honesty.  They come on at a time of night that I am always available and the repeat over and over.  That works for me.  Because other shows that I miss a few episodes and don't know what is going on and to wait for a repeat takes FOREVER.    I do catch repeats of "Criminal Minds" on A&E.  I also like some of the shows on A&E like hoarders because no matter what shape my house is in, I always feel like 'I'm ok".  Oh and HG TV househunters.  I can watch that for mindless entertainment.  

Ugh, I realize this doesn't make me look good.  But welcome to the real me.  It is more of a timing thing for me than anything else.  
lajacks commented on Derealization and Dep...
Dee1956 commented on photo
stu36 commented on HIV and ORAL SEX: The...