Election 2012
Figured maybe we could have a seperate thread to just talk about the election, the progress, numbers, our own experiences voting.  Our polls have been open for one hour and ten minutes.  I'm still in my jammies...my vote will be casted later on today.

No matter who prevails, I'm glad to be a part of this group, everyone is passionate in their own way, and I respect that.  

Let's do this!!!!!!

Much love to all...
Yea! Team Romney is not conceding OH yet!...
I'm not seeing that
Oh wow...sec of state in OH said its not official, and Romney is actually ahead in OH right this minute.

Even WITH OH, he'd have to win FLA AND VA right?

Christ...I need alcohol!!!!!!
It IS awfully freaking close...I think even with waiting til the bitter end,. it will go to Obama.  The *bleeping* media is ridiculous!!!!!!  If Romney wins OH in the end,. the media outlets should be sued...thats nuts.
I'm so confused.....very very confused.  I have been channel flipping, and all the channels, even FOX are calling Obama as President.  They wouldn't do that if it wasn't for sure right?  CNN hasn't actually called Florida yet, but they are still calling Ohio Obama.  I'm really really confused.  
Ok, so say a state has 10 electoral votes.  Can one candidate win 6 of them, the other 4?  Or is it just the candidate that wins the most electoral votes automatically takes the state and all the electoral votes?
Thank you so much for these questions..I am learning
No, a candidate always gets all the electoral votes
  Yes hopefully regardless of outcome the election will be decided within a reasonable time frame as prolonged contestations tend to detract from the process. Also they impede follow up on very real world issues such as stabilizing regions affected by the hurricane and issues that affect everyone such as the economy and national security. I also agree with the posts that the Senate and house of representatives should be more cooperative. As well as its important to remember as sometimes as regards the national election and politics on that level that there can sometimes be a degree of cynicism (sometimes well founded) to follow up on local and state elections and propositions (in states that have them) as there people are more likely to have input.
I hope my questions aren't irritating. I just find is so interesting.  It's different here.  You get credit for each riding you win, end of story.  So if Alberta gives 10 ridings to Liberals and 15 to Conservatives, then that is how it is divied up.  So this is different for me, and I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer for me.  Thanks!
The math isn't there. Colorado just went to the President
Yeah, most channels have called it for Obama.

To be fair, right now, Romney is ahead in the popular votes, which of course, we know doesn't decide the election, the electoral votes do.

If OH is putback into play, I BELIEVE Romney would have to win in VA and FLA...where the races are also neck and neck.

My gut says Obama will prevail, but not by much, I still think they called it too soon...makes Romney look bad, because he isn't conceding.  When they called it, I thought OH was at like 95% reporting and up...it wasn't...I think it's at 70-80%-something, and right now R is leading.

They predict based on the votes that are still to be counted, and in those areas, if they are typically red or blue.

Really frustrating.
Wow!  They said they called the election for Obama and people in Florida were still in line to vote.  That seems odd to me?
Anyway you look at it, in the actual number of votes cast, the President is in the Lead....Only by 20,000 but he is in the lead
Amanda they called it because he reached 270 electoral votes...The people in line could still raise his popular vote margin to surpass Mitt in the popular vote...
Not annoying at all Amanda, its very confusing!!!

I almost think it would be easier to go by popular vote (not to mention it would make more sense).  Presidents have won elections by electoral vote, but won by popular vote...that may be the case here too.

Ms. P...I agree...the ways R could take it are about done.

They didnt call FLA or VA right?

If R gets those AND OH, can he pull it off, or does it still go to the Pres?

I agree that I hope this isn't one of those debacles where we dont have an answer for days or weeks.  Sigh.

The Congressional elections were interesting to watch as well tonight.  Of course, we re-elected Bob Casey...ick ick ick.  LOL  (Not that I liked the alternative much...ew)

LET'S GET THIS OVER WITH PEOPLE!!!!!!  OH needs to count faster and call it officially.
Anyway you look at it, in the actual number of votes cast, the President is in the Lead....Only by 20,000 but he is in the lead .

In OH?  I see R in the lead.

Stupid media.  Seriously, like WHO do you watch you know????
Fox just called Obama won in Ohio.  And I am pretty sure they wouldn't if there was any chance at all of it going to Romney.  Honestly, I was sort of waiting for Fox to call it to 100% believe it....lol.

Thanks again to all of you for answering questions for me.  I know it's a big night for you folks, so I doubly appreciate it.
NO. I just thanked you for the questions..the discussion clarified some things for me. Please keep asking
They just said Maine approved same sex marriage!  Yay Maine!!! (sorry, that one is a big big deal to me.  Love seeing more states legalizing!)

It also just said that Colorado becomes first state to legalize marijuana for recreational use.  That's an interesting one to me.....
with fl and va he only gets 29 and 13 which only gets him to 245 even with Colorado 6 electoral votes he only gets to 251.....
Obama is ahead now in the popular vote by 35,000 votes.  

So MrsP, what if Romney also wound up taking Ohio.  How many votes is that one worth?

It still sounds like Romney is not conceding.  
Thats what I thought, Ms. P...is that with OH too figured in?  If R wins all three...is it still not enough?  Or is it?  If it is, I can see waiting.  Right now, OH is at like 82% reporting.

Crazy...if we went by pop vote, Romney would be ahead.

I need to go to bed, grrr.

I'm sure that concession call isn't easy to make, especially in a race so close!

Good news for women...I think like 6(?) more added to congress?  That's great.

House will be controlled by repub, Senate dems...right?  Or, are we waiting for more numbers?  LOL

Anywho...my congrats still stands.  I'm a realist.  If Romney pulls it off, it will be unusual...but I'll be shocked (and happy).  Geez, if that WOULD happen, I really fear the outrage!  :0(

Going to try to sleep...it's been fun guys!  
CBS just said VA goes to Obama.  IF thats true (lol)...its really over!!!  Oh doesn't matter anymore.

Im going to bed!
Well the only 2 states left now are VA, and FL..So even if you give Mitt OH, the President still wins with out the call of  OH Va and FL
I need to go to bed too, but I so wanted to hear the speeches.  I'm giving it a few more minutes, but am having trouble staying awake now.  
It might be a long night guys because Romney has to concede first so it depends on Romney...
If he does it soon I can still get 7 hours sleep...lol.  Sounds like a lot, except that Ryder got me up at 4 am this morning....ugh.  I'm wiped.
Mitts concession speech was on point!...It was REALLY genuine....Good job Mr. Romney.....
I agree MrsP.  He showed real class and I too believed him.  He sincerly wished the President well and said he would pray for him.  He fought the good fight and someone had to lose.  I like the way he handled that, and respect him for that.
I missed it..I am sure I can find a rerun.
I am very proud of him that he handled it like a mensch.

I hope in future elections everyone, especially the media will change the way they cover the campaign.  I think everyone in this country felt inundated by the constant and unrelenting barrage of information and misinformation.
So glad it is over.
Yessss... Thank god it's over!....
Congrats to Obama supporters.  I went to bed before 10 as I'm trying to get better from being sick so missed the concession speech but see that Obama has been re elected.  

Yes, I'm so glad it is over.  For sure.  
I, too, went to bed earlier, because I'd been up since 3:30 am, so missed all the speeches...  Congratulations to President Obama and to everyone who supported him.

Yep, glad it's over.  Even on election day, I got no less than 8 (yes, that's eight) political calls, *after* I voted........... that's just too much!!  
I fell asleep after they called Ohio. Am I understanding that florida is still out? When I went to bed people were still in line to vote!
I just want to say that I think we have a very classy bunch of people on this forum. You guys are awesome!
Ahhhhhh.

I have a commentary.  :0)

Really really REALLY relieved that's over.  What a long, hard, and sometimes NASTY battle, huh?

I truly think the republican party is going to have to start becoming more moderate, in general, or we're going to end up being (and staying) the minority party.  The next race (ahhh!) will be interesting....I'm sure both sides are looking for front runners already.

I think the people spoke last night...Murdoch and the other clown paid for their remarks (as they should have).   We elected the first openly gay congresswoman, and legalized MJ in 2 states.  Those who came before us, who lived (as adults) through the 60's and 70's....are beaming with pride I'm sure.  I think it DOES show progress for our nation, at least with tolerance, and acceptance.  We also have the HIGHEST number of women serving on congress EVER.  That's great.

I also think (and hope) that the neck and neck nature of the race opened the eyes of not only dems in general, but also Obama.  He didn't win by nearly as big a margin this time, which could indicate that a good number people are NOT happy with the past four years.  He deserves to celebrate, and he earned it, fair and square, but I hope he keeps those of us who DIDN'T choose him in mind as well.  I think ALL presidents have the obligation to cater to those who support him, and the ones who don't, or the ones who have lost confidence in him.  BOTH groups are important.

I think Romney's concession speech was genuine, and he DID give it an amazing shot.  I've thought from the beginning of this campaign that Obama would prevail...I never thought Romney would be that much competition to him.  Again, just watching democracy in action made me proud to be an American.  I'm proud he did as well as he did, and I still stand firm in my decision to vote for him.  I know he didn't always do a good job of gaining the confidence of people, and he DID tend to move toward the middle as the campaign went on, but I DO firmly and honestly believe he had great ideas and would have been a good president.  I hope Obama will consider some of his ideas for the economy.  He DOES have an amazing history as a business man.  The man knows how to make a dollar grow...we need that.

I hope that people don't pout, or continue the mudslinging.  No time to be sore losers here!  Time to hold our heads up high, and accept that Obama is ALL of our president.  We need to come together as a country, and learn to compromise.  Maybe if WE did it, our leaders would stand up and take notice.  Money running DC is its downfall...it keeps politicians obligated to special interest groups, and campaign funders...that's not right....they need to be obligated to US.

Lastly (in my very wise commentary..lol)...looks like the Tea Party took a hit, and for that, I'm actually very glad.  We need leaders to want to come more to the middle...not farther to the right (or left).  They didn't fairly represent most average repubs out there, and their statements were not something most of us would ever support.

So, my dem friends....celebrate and be proud today!!!  You've earned it. Now, we can get back to talking about important things, like the Kardashians, and sports!  ;0)
I think that on a day that there are winners and losers it is really important to remember that we are all winners for being American.  We are ONE nation that I have high hopes for.  PollyAnna aside, I do so hope the best for the next 4 years.  (may we not go bankrupt.  :>) )
Now all the politicians just need to shake hands and get to work!

And I agree - a very classy group here.  Everyone is being very gracious regardless of what side you voted.  Love it!!
Walked into the polls, had to register, show my ID and proof of residency in the county, wait in the lines and the whole process took less than 17 minutes.
(Miserable process.... it took longer to get fuel.)
My voting experience was also pretty quick.  

I do want people to get along and work together.  But the ideals are so different, it is overwhelming me to think about what is ahead.  
The ideals are so different and as we've talked about, there has to be some common ground somewhere near the middle, but that would that some people (on either side) would have to be willing to compromise.  I think the fear there lies in the fact that they feel they would be compromising party line morals.....  In my opinion, and maybe this is too simplistic.... There is right and wrong.  Doing nothing is wrong... trying something and even if it doesn't work gives us something to work with, and that would be a big step in the right direction.

The question is, how do we get these people to get to work?  We keep electing the some officials in DC, the very ones that are responsible for this stalemate/gridlock.  Their willingness to do nothing should be a real quick indicator that this person needs to go....  I  think too many people still hold the party line.....

Now, we can get back to talking about important things, like the Kardashians, and sports!  ;0)

Ha! So glad I don't have a television! *What* does that pretty woman do besides being pretty and rich? And *why* do people care???
I don't really want to go off on a tangent discussing that nonsense, just shaking my head.
I love watching the Kardashians. They are good reality tv...lol
I'm with you, I don't get it either.  Frankly, I don't understand the point of most of those reality shows and just can't be bothered.  The odd time I have watched, I've just been confused.....lol.  But hey, I now know what a Snookie is!  
Poor you! You could have lived without knowing snookie! LOL...She is what we call in the old country. a ho is a ho is a ho, but now its popular! What was once bad is now good and what once was good is now bad. I think I will stick to the csi and ncis programs. Much more entertaining I thinks! lol
NCIS is a favorite of hubbies and mine too.  I like Law & Order as well.  Haven't watched CIS in a while, but maybe I'll pick it back up again.  Sounds like we have similar taste in shows!!
I like law and order and one of my favs, major crimes has all but disappeared in the last couple of weeks. :(  I also like that new mob doc show? Its good too! Voice, dancing with the stars, nah, entertaining but not on a regular diet of it. LOL  Great minds think alike!
I enjoyed NCSI too, until I started dreaming vivisection in technicolor...scary.
Law and order I watch on netflix sometime with my computer. Love Goren on CI and Ice T and Munch...wonderful characters. It was actually this show that made me stop thinking of police as a hostile element in society. I came to appreciate the challenges they face.
Nowdays, Jane Austen movies...I am a bit of an anglophile, love BBC.
Hm, I like some Bravo tv shows which aren't really intellectually stimulating.  Here's why in all honesty.  They come on at a time of night that I am always available and the repeat over and over.  That works for me.  Because other shows that I miss a few episodes and don't know what is going on and to wait for a repeat takes FOREVER.    I do catch repeats of "Criminal Minds" on A&E.  I also like some of the shows on A&E like hoarders because no matter what shape my house is in, I always feel like 'I'm ok".  Oh and HG TV househunters.  I can watch that for mindless entertainment.  

Ugh, I realize this doesn't make me look good.  But welcome to the real me.  It is more of a timing thing for me than anything else.  
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Dee1956 commented on Belle313's status
specialmom commented on ZonnyC's status
Dee1956 commented on meegWpaw's status