485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Man uses ChristianMingle to Date Rape victims
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
37 members

http://news.yahoo.com/christianmingle-date-rape-victims-sought-calif-cops-175045106--abc-news-topstories.html

A suspected rapist accused of sexually assaulting a woman he met on ChristianMingle.com may have used the dating site to prey on women while he traveled across the country, California police said today.

Sean Patrick Banks, 37, a former Navy sailor, used a fake name to contact a woman who he allegedly raped in November, cops in La Mesa, Calif., said. Investigators believe that he used additional aliases to contact other women on the popular website and police hope that if there are additional victims they will recognize Banks.

Banks lives in Del Mar, Calif., and is currently unemployed but previously "travelled frequently around various spots in the U.S." for work, widening the search for potential victims from Southern California to across the country, said La Mesa Police spokesman Lt. Matt Nicholass.

"We're looking to see if there are any other victims," Nicholass told ABCNews.com. "We're trying to locate other victims who recognize him by his face, because they may not know his real name is Sean."

Cops accuse Banks of posing on the site as "Rylan Butterwood" and "Rylan Harbough."

His alleged use of fake names complicated police efforts to track him down after a La Mesa woman accused him of rape at her home in November on their first face-to-face date.

"La Mesa police tried to identify him for a couple of months," Nicholass said, adding that a break in the case came after ChristianMingle.com turned over computer records that helped cops identify Banks.

Banks was charged with two counts of rape and pleaded not guilty. He posted bond of $500,000 and was released. Calls to several numbers associated with Banks were not returned. Authorities did not know if he had obtained an attorney.

"We continue to assist the La Mesa police department with its investigation in every way possible. The safety and security of our members is extremely important to us," ChristianMingle.com said in a statement through spokeswoman Arielle Schechtman. "In addition to having experts manually review all profile content and photos, we have developed several proprietary, automated tools to ensure the highest possible level of safety and privacy for our communities."
I remember watching an episode of Law & Order: SVU with pretty much this EXACT same scenario like, last year. Wonder if he got the idea from there?
I think women need to be very careful with online dating.   All the same safety rules apply as regular dating and I'd consider this a blind date.  Wouldn't give my address, would meet them in a public place, and would use caution building trust rather than immediately granting it.  I'm not really a worry wart for safety but took those precautions with dating early on.  

ugh, sad for the victim.
Just simply crazy!...Reminds me of the craigslist killer...
I guess I am old fashioned cause it seems obvious to me that utilizing any of these date sights comes with a huge risk. I dont understand why anyone would want to open themselves up to such a possibility to begin with. It stands to reason that this is where all the nutjobs hang out.
nursegirl6572 "You accepted less because ... Comment
specialmom, mikesimon, and nursegirl6572 commented on nursegirl6572's status
Dee1956 uploaded new photos