485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Neglected prisoner gets $15.5 million after serving 22 months in solita...
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
37 members

Neglected prisoner gets $15.5 million after serving 22 months in solitary

Stephen Slevin spent 22 months in solitary confinement in a New Mexico jail. During that time, his mental health deteriorated, fungus grew on his skin, and he was forced to pull his own tooth after being denied access to a dentist. A recent settlement with Dona Ana County resulted in Slevin receiving $15.5 million.
Initially, Slevin was awarded $22 million by a jury, but Dona Ana County appealed. The two parties reached an agreement this week. According to NBC News, Slevin's attorney, Matt Coyte, said his client's "mental health has been severely compromised from the time he was in that facility. That continues to be the same. No amount of money will bring back what they took away from him. But it’s nice to be able to get him some money so he can improve where he is in life and move on."
During his 22 months in solitary confinement, Slevin developed bedsores and lost 50 pounds. The ordeal began in 2005 when he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence and stealing a car, which he says he borrowed from a friend. Slevin was never brought before a judge nor was he officially convicted of any crime. He said he wrote letters, begging for help with his depression. The before and after photos show the effect the 22 months of neglect had.
"Why they did what they did, I'll never know," Slevin told KOB4-TV. "Walking by me, watching me deteriorate day after day after day, and they did nothing at all to get me help."
Slevin's attorney said his client was battling depression at the time of his arrest. His health woes continue. He was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. He also suffers from post traumatic stress disorder due to his time in jail.
Jess Williams, Dona Ana County's public information director, told NBC News that the jail is making an effort to improve the way it treats prisoners with mental illness.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/neglected-prisoner-gets-15-5-million-serving-22-181425242.html
Dee1956 commented on Barb135's status
Barb135, specialmom, and Dee1956 commented on specialmom's status
Nov 26
Dee1956 commented on susan400's status
Nov 26