485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
OBAMA WINS SECOND TERM
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
35 members

OBAMA WINS SECOND TERM

http://news.msn.com/politics/election-day-2012-obama-romney
Congratulations to the President.  I hope these last 4 years and the very close race have taught him and the entire Congress that they, now, need to start working with each other, in order to bring this country back.  
Congratulations indeed.  

I wish Obama and America all the best.  

Ditto Barb! Hopefully we can get some bipartisan solutions and less bickering, we have our work cut out for keeping us from going over that fiscal cliff.
Nothing has changed in America. Either Dems and Rep's need to move towards the center to get things done or nothing gets done.

For all those who say the R's are the party of NO, realize that they are not just going to pass anything Obama wants. If Obama wants things done he has to work with them which means moving towards the middle.
Yep, both sides need to make that effort now.  Hopefully with this election over and done with, they will do that.  
I'm glad this process is over and am hoping to see some REAL progress in DC but remain highly skeptical.  I believe the President is more flexible than the rest of the democrats and I appreciate that he did not make abundant promises this cycle.  The republicans and democrats now need to drop their guards and get something done.
"The republicans and democrats now need to drop their guards and get something done."

Yes sir!
Midterms only 2 years away...
Unfortunately, I don't think it's likely that guards will be dropped and I can't see a whole lot getting done.  I hope I'm wrong.
I'm really happy Obama won the popular vote as well as the electoral one.

I was comforted late last night by the sound of a train. And yes, it was the Obama Express!
:)
Guess when you win by a very small margin and less pop and elec vote then last time it must be a very slow moving train.
Comforted?  I guess I can see your point on that, but... people like McConnell are still out there.  Where is the comfort in that?
He won both Popular and electoral and it was by no means a small margin....
I'm glad you're able to see my point.
That's progress!
Someone sent me a pic of Mitch McConnell saying their only job was to make Obama a one term president. Across the pic, was the word fail. I have to admit that I took delight in seeing that.

Now hopefully, what the people want and expect has been made loud and clear. Obama says he gets it, he heard it. Now lets see what happens! He needs to serve those that voted FOR him as well as those who voted against him. I sincerely think he got the message. Middle of the road and compromise is what we want. No extremes from either side.
Hope, want, and expect.  We all hope that these people can get together and get something handled.  We want results and we expect cooperation.  All of that is good... at least we are mostly all on the same page there.

I don't really believe it will happen.  I'd love to eat my words but I swear I can still hear "obstruction" and "Bush's fault".  That has to go away now.  It damn well better in the next 4 years.
I truly hope you will eat your words, lol and I believe that you want to as well.
We will see...
For all my euphoric hope, I have lived long enough to know that we all often fall short of or expectations, especially politicians. But even so, what are we going to do? Just give it up because in the end everyone *****? Lol. I guess all we can do is carry on cultivate a positive outlook or at least that is what I tell myself when I fall into my dark cynicism.
Midterms only 2 years away... .

I hate you, vance.  That's just sick!  ;0)  LOL

Not that it matters, but in the popular vote, he wasn't ahead by much at all.  Actually, not until the bitter end did he even pull ahead in the popular vote.  Of course, the electoral votes are what count, but the popular vote should be important to the president.

I DO hope, if he's as fair and reasonable as you all say he is, that the results spoke to him.  This was no landslide...it was awfully close.  Should have been too close for comfort for him.  That should be important to him, especially in comparison to the MUCH larger margins he carried in 2008.  The people are trying to tell him something, he should get that message.

That's not to say he's to blame for every little thing, of course he isn't...congress bears responsibility as well.  I've pretty much always thought he would win, however, as an informed, educated citizen who cares about this country...I want him to acknowledge (even if only to himself) that a LOT people aren't pleased with his first term, and per the exit polls, even a lot of people that voted for him stated they were FAR less enthusiastic about him this time around.  That should matter to him...and I think he needs to do whatever it takes to not have a repeat performance of term #1.  Whatever didn't work the first time around needs to be bagged.

Ironically, he's following some of the same trends as GWB.  GWB won his second term, but not by much.  If memory serves, he didn't win the popular vote, right?  People were trying to send him a message as well, they were growing weary of the wars, and the economy was starting to do a nose dive.  I don't think he did as much as he could have to turn some of those things around.  I think a a good bit of his challenges arose from 9/11.  Not an easy time to be president...and the impact of that was long lasting.

But my point is, he should have looked at those exit polls and the numbers more carefully, and rather than continue with more of the same, he should have started trying some new things.  While I liked him a lot (don't shoot me)...I think that's a lot of the reason he is such an unpopular president...accross party lines...and I see a LOT of the same trends with Obama.  He'd be smart to not repeat history.
Could we move on, already?
I don't care if he won by a close margin or by landslide. Lots of us love him. He did and will make mistakes...we need to move on and learn about what the issues are in a non judgmental way and then argue are points.
Talking about the Presidents flaws is beating a dead horse.
I don't want to focus on how I don't like the Republican Congress, I want to find those who are willing to work together.
Alfred
OK, but I still think he looks like Alred E. Newman
ROFL!!!!
child24angel, Dee1956, and Proactive commented on child24angel's status
Dee1956, and child24angel commented on can-do-man's status
Jul 30
nursegirl6572 commented on JGF25's status
Jul 30