485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Obama Donor's Corporation Lays Off Employees Due to ObamaCare
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
34 members

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/13/Obama-Donor-s-Corporation-Lays-Off-Employees-Due-to-ObamaCare

Stryker Corporation has announced that it will close its facility in Orchard Park, New York, eliminating 96 jobs next month. It will also counter the medical device tax in Obamacare by eliminating 5% of their global workforce, an estimated 1,170 positions.

Jon Stryker is heir to the Stryker Corporation, one of the largest medical device and equipment manufacturers in the world. Stryker’s grandfather was the surgeon who invented the mobile hospital bed. The company now sells $8.3 billion worth of hospital beds, artificial joints, medical cameras, and medical software every year.

Stryker, a member of the Forbes 400 list, was one of the top five donors to the Obama campaign. Having donated $2 million to the Priorities USA Action super PAC, Stryker also gave $66,000 in contributions to Obama and the Democrat Party.

Prior to the 2012 election, Stryker contributed millions to help Democrat candidates in his home state of Michigan. He also gave nearly $250 million to groups supporting gay rights, transgenderism, and the conservation of apes. In January, his Arcus Foundation donated $23 million to Kalamazoo College for an endowment to fund a center for social justice leadership.

Stryker's corporation is part of an industry that has been a big loser at the hands of Obamacare. Having refused to get on board with the White House and the Senate Finance Committee when the law was being crafted in 2009, the medical device industry was punished with an excise tax of 2.3% of their revenues, regardless of whether they make a profit.

Republicans in the House have attempted to repeal the excise tax with a bill called the Protect Medical Innovation Act. The Democrat-led Senate, however, has refused to cooperate, saying that withdrawing the tax would cause Obamacare to come unraveled.

Continued:  Last June, while the nation awaited the Supreme Court’s decision on the constitutionality of the individual mandate, Stryker Corp. announced that it was tying plans to slash 5% of its global workforce to the tax if the law was upheld. The company would do this as part of an effort to realize $100 million in annual productivity gains to offset the blow when the excise tax went into effect in 2013.

It seems Stryker Corp., like many other businesses in America, was waiting to see how the election turned out before making important decisions; it is now moving ahead with those planned layoffs in the wake of Barack Obama's reelection.
Okay, now what if instead of giving money to campaigns those funds were used for employees health care ?

Why do elections get billions of dollars but paying for health care is just too much?

Upside down priorities.
"Okay, now what if instead of giving money to campaigns those funds were used for employees health care ?"    Ummmmm   Because it makes sense?
I’m confused. Why would one contribute so much money to a Party that they felt would damage them if elected/reelected?

“Stryker, a member of the Forbes 400 list, was one of the top five donors to the Obama campaign. Having donated $2 million to the Priorities USA Action super PAC, Stryker also gave $66,000 in contributions to Obama and the Democrat Party.
Prior to the 2012 election, Stryker contributed millions to help Democrat candidates in his home state of Michigan”

“Stryker Corp. announced that it was tying plans to slash 5% of its global workforce to the tax if the law was upheld. The company would do this as part of an effort to realize $100 million in annual productivity gains to offset the blow when the excise tax went into effect in 2013.
It seems Stryker Corp., like many other businesses in America, was waiting to see how the election turned out before making important decisions; it is now moving ahead with those planned layoffs in the wake of Barack Obama's” reelection..
That struck me as odd also.

They sort of 'shot themselves in the foot' by backing Obama, unless I misinterpreted what I read in the article.
WOW.  Stryker is one of the MAIN leaders in HC equipment, specialty beds, etc.

This is so unfortunate!
The more I read about this, the more it doesn't make sense.

Stryker donates millions of dollars and backs a campaign whose platform (if voted into office) will IMPEDE their growth and prosperity. I mean, it's not like they were blindsided by the policies that the BO administration had planned.

I completely understand the KOCH brothers (et all) donating to the GOP, as the GOP has their best financial interest at heart.

Why in the hell would Stryker back BO and his administration, knowing full well that upon claiming the WH, they'd have to lay off 5% of their workforce?

Talk about a poor business decision. Their board-of-directors should all be FIRED.
Yeah, doesn't make a whole lot of sense!
Stryker has given $2 million to the Priorities USA Action super PAC and has given $66,000 in contributions to Obama and the Democratic Party. Stryker is the heir to namesake Stryker Corp., the major medical device and equipment manufacturer. Stryker has been active in politics before the 2012 election; he contributed millions to help Democratic candidates statewide. And he also has given nearly $250 million of his personal wealth to groups supporting gay rights and the conservation of apes.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82637_Page2.html#ixzz2CRDvqYBk

I started to say to consider the source, but instead figured I would go the policically correct route.

It may be worth mentioning that it appears, that only right wing news, uh sources seem to have the scoop, or maybe because the facts were slightly distorted?
nursegirl6572 commented on Dear MH Friends..Upda...
nursegirl6572 “Success means doing the be... Comment
Jul 09
specialmom commented on missamlove's status
Jul 07