485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Of course this is SF
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
38 members

Of course this is SF

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NUDITY_BAN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-11-18-15-45-34

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- San Francisco may be getting ready to shed its image as a city where anything goes, including clothing.

City lawmakers are scheduled to vote Tuesday on an ordinance that would prohibit nudity in most public places, a blanket ban that represents an escalation of a two-year tiff between a devoted group of men who strut their stuff through the city's famously gay Castro District and the supervisor who represents the area.

Supervisor Scott Wiener's proposal would make it illegal for a person over the age of 5 to "expose his or her genitals, perineum or anal region on any public street, sidewalk, street median, parklet or plaza" or while using public transit.

A first offense would carry a maximum penalty of a $100 fine, but prosecutors would have authority to charge a third violation as a misdemeanor punishable by up to a $500 fine and a year in jail. Exemptions would be made for participants at permitted street fairs and parades, such as the city's annual gay pride event and the Folsom Street Fair, which celebrates sadomasochism and other sexual subcultures.

Wiener said he resisted introducing the ordinance, but felt compelled to act after constituents complained about the naked men who gather in a small Castro plaza most days and sometimes walk the streets au naturel. He persuaded his colleagues last year to pass a law requiring a cloth to be placed between public seating and bare rears, yet the complaints have continued.

"I don't think having some guys taking their clothes off and hanging out seven days a week at Castro and Market Street is really what San Francisco is about. I think it's a caricature of what San Francisco is about," Wiener said.

The proposed ban predictably has produced outrage, as well as a lawsuit. Last week, about two dozen people disrobed in front of City Hall and marched around the block to the amusement of gawking tourists and high school students on a field trip.

Stripped down to his sunglasses and hiking boots, McCray Winpsett, 37, said he understands the disgust of residents who would prefer not to see the body modifications and sex enhancement devices sported by some of the Castro nudists. But he thinks Wiener's prohibition goes too far in undermining a tradition "that keeps San Francisco weird."

"A few lewd exhibitionists are really ruining it for the rest of us," he said. "It's my time to come out now to present myself in a light and show what true nudity is all about so people can separate the difference between what a nudist is and an exhibitionist is."

Because clothes are required to enter City Hall itself, demonstrators who try to disrobe at the Board of Supervisors meeting will be escorted out by sheriff's deputies. That is what happened last Monday when Gypsy Taub removed her dress at a committee hearing where the ban had its first public hearing. Taub, a mother of two, said she got her start as a nudist while hosting a local cable program devoted to the theory that the government was behind the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
I saw the photo of naked people on bicycles and thought, " I don't want to see this!" And I used to go to a nude beach back in the day but you knew when you went there people would be naked.

Still, I love S.F !!
It's the most beautiful city in the country.
No one should be exposed to nudity unless they wish. On the streets is not acceptable. If you want to be naked then buy an island and set up a society.
I have just such an island and all of you are welcome.
Ugh, you'd be surprised (and possibly disgusted) at some posts I've read recently from 'nudists' and comments about their children and going nude.  Nude playdates for example.  I mean, really?  

In reality, the VAST majority of people should NEVER be seen in public naked as it just isn't a pretty sight.  

San Fran was a place I've enjoyed visiting and looked forward to taking my kidlets at some point.  Off the list if we are subjected to massive nudity while there.  Gross.  (yes, call me a prude.)
Most of the people in this world, really do look better clothed. EW! The few that look good enuff without clothes are usually not the ones wanting to shed them, at least not for free. And in the world we live in, letting children run amuck naked for every perf out there to oggle. Well, its just insane. imo
I went to a nude beach when my kids were young. We'd go during the week and it was mostly moms and kids. When the kids got to be around 11, suddenly, they either stopped going or put on bathing suits.

One thing it taught me was how we judge people by their dress. When getting dressed to leave, I saw others who I realized I'd have thought differently about them when I saw what they wore.

I liked swimming nude but sadly, we stopped going to the beach when too many creeps started showing up just to stare.
They'd sit in their cars with binoculars.
That beach is now gone, long gone.

One last thought about SF nudity, that city is too cold most the time for me to even wear shorts !
I've also been to a nude beach.  I wasn't nude though or with kids.  The sight of the majority of those people made me queazy.  No joke.  Not pretty.  

I totally agree that anyone you want to see naked isn't on a nude beach (except for you and me orphanedhawk--- he he).

But the issue with a 'beach' verses a part of the city is that a beach is something you choose to go and participate in it.  A part of the city is more public.  Those who don't want to be exposed to it have less ability to get away if they have to be in that area.  

We had a man arrested in a township not far from me for exposing himself to strangers.  Thank goodness for my conservative little part of the world.  
Supervisor Scott Wiener's proposal....

Okay, call me immature, but I couldn't get past this.  How freaking ironic is this guy's name, in this context?

LM(clothed)AO!!!
LOL
A COLD and naked WEINER? ROFL! Sorry! It just kind of glared out at me. Thanks to NG! She started it! LOL
MrsPincince Thank you Cheryl for your p... Comment
Dee1956 commented on Ekkiemom's status
hrsepwrguy, and colorpal commented on pooh55811's status