485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Older Tech Workers Oppose Overhauling H-1B Visas
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
38 members

http://www.npr.org/2013/02/19/172373123/older-tech-workers-oppose-increasing-h-1b-visas

Five minute radio piece on how some tech companies turn down qualified American workers because of age  --  no matter how well qualified  --  and use 'a shortage of qualified applicants' as an excuse to hire short term foreign workers to fill these jobs.
desrt,
I have a feeling we are about to see our corporations & big & small business owners of all sorts start to get reeeeal creative in how to get around the old hiring guide lines.
Just wait until Obamacare kicks in, so far I have seen figures that it will cost employers around $5000. per year to provide Obamacare and if they don't it will be around a $2000. per year fine. Obviously it will be cheaper to pay the fine. Some business have already announced they will be cutting back hours on there full timers and many will be only hiring part timers.
I think we can all agree there is a lack of jobs right now and with a new immigration policy about ready to come into play who knows whats coming?
As far as qualified workers, my wife has already been down this road after 30yrs service and forced into early retirement while her job vacancy was filled with a younger fresh out of school unqualified lower wage employee although they were hired full time in that position.
btw I don't have any answers on this just observations but its not looking so rosy right now imo.
I listened to that program today too.
Microsoft is complaining that this country has a shortage of Techies and engineers and this new visa will allow them to have access to qualified people from India and other countries.
However as short term temporary workers, it is a real bargain for the companies because they can avoid the expenses of benefits given to a permanent worker.
I don't know if it is true that there is such a shortage of Americans who are qualified for this work. If so, we better get with it.
What caught my attention was the guy who wrote the original legislation that created these visas now says they are being used as a means to keep wages low. I have no objection to hiring doctors and engineers for jobs that we can't fill. That's one thing our country has going for it is that the best and the brightest want to live here.
I'd prefer to see our own kids get educated to fill these slots though, and when the system is gamed to hire temporary workers as a way to jack up profits, it's time to rewrite the law.
We are expected to work until we're 70, but you can't get a job that you're qualified for?
when the system is gamed to hire temporary workers as a way to jack up profits, it's time to rewrite the law.
---------------------------
Good points
What caught my attention was the guy who wrote the original legislation that created these visas now says they are being used as a means to keep wages low.

That says it all right there...
But these are temporary visas, meaning there will be a quick turnover...how efficient can Microsoft and others run with that kind of labor force>
Geesh, it is like outsourcing on our own land...very sinister.
Has Microsoft and Mac ever had any competition other than each other?
Dee1956 commented on Buba1962's status
Dee1956 commented on susan400's status
Sep 13
Dee1956 commented on orphanedhawk's status
Sep 13