Puerto Rico Votes On Statehood
Puerto Rico Votes On Statehood And Chooses Governor

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — Puerto Ricans faced a fundamental question on Election Day: Should they change their ties with the United States?

Citizens in the U.S. island territory cannot vote in the U.S. presidential election, but many were excited to participate in a referendum on whether to push the territory toward statehood, greater autonomy or independence.

Car horns blared and party flags waved after polling stations closed following what election officials said was a high voter turnout. During the day, many voters carried umbrellas against the blistering tropical sun as temperatures neared 90 degrees Fahrenheit (31 degrees Celsius).

The two-part referendum first asked voters if they wanted to change Puerto Rico's 114-year relationship with the United States. A second question gave voters three alternatives if they wanted a change: become a U.S. state, gain independence, or have a "sovereign free association," a designation that would give more autonomy for the territory of 4 million people.

With 243 of 1,643 precincts reporting late Tuesday, 75,188 voters, or 53 percent, said they did not want to continue under the current political status. Forty-seven percent, or 67,304 voters, supported the status quo.

On the second question, 65 percent favored statehood, followed by 31 percent for sovereign free association and 4 percent for independence.

"Puerto Rico has to be a state. There is no other option," said 25-year-old Jerome Lefebre, who picked up his grandfather before driving to the polls. "We're doing OK, but we could do better. We would receive more benefits, a lot more financial help."

But 42-year-old Ramon Lopez de Azua said he favored the current system, which grants U.S. citizenship but prevents Puerto Ricans from voting for president unless they live in the United States, and gives those on the island only limited representation in Congress.

"Puerto Rico's problem is not its political status," he said. "I think that the United States is the best country in the world, but I am Puerto Rican first."

Both President Barack Obama and rival Mitt Romney said they supported the referendum, with Obama pledging to respect the will of the people if there was a clear majority. Any change would require approval by the U.S. Congress.

Puerto Rico held non-binding referendums in 1967, 1993 and 1998, with statehood never garnering a clear majority and independence never obtaining more than 5 percent of the vote.

The island also was electing legislators and a governor, with Gov. Luis Fortuno of the pro-statehood New Progressive Party seeking a second term. Fortuno, a Republican, was challenged by Alejandro Garcia Padilla, whose Popular Democratic Party favors the status quo. With 817 of 1,643 precincts reporting late Tuesday, Garcia had 427,604 votes, or 48 percent, while Fortuno had 422,506 votes, or 47 percent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/06/puerto-rico-votes-on-statehood_n_2082320.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
Does anybody have an opinion about Puerto Rico becoming our 51st state or should they be an independent country ?
I have no opinion at all but how does it benefit the Union to add Puerto Rico?
The article states how it benefits Puerto Rico but is it advantageous fro anyone else?
Let Canada have them, we're already stuck with California
Hahaha, you are in good form tonight, Glass.
Answer my question, willya?
Lol R.

I know Puerto Rico is an independent country, but is it gov'd by the US?  I'll admit, I don't understand the relationship - I guess I need to go google and read up.
I would rather pick these fine minds here.
It would not benefit us at all. We already have enough problems.
Me too, but I asked so many questions last night during the election, I'm sure I drove everyone crazy..lol  Scared to ask any right now....ha.
No strategic shipping lines nearby or unmined natural resources?
Thank you!! I was beginning to feel like a real nerd here...
Please ask. You help me out. I feel like I am always bugging people here and I just love living vicariously through you. LOL
I guess I should just go back to school if I want an education. Sigh.
Good Point. Maybe if we ship them all to California and then strip the Natural Resources.
But thanks for the laughs anyway
Grrrrrrrrr. Glass, stop playing!
OK, I'll try to put some thought into it tomorrow, 4:30 comes early so I need to get some rest. one last proposal before turning in. Canada takes California and we take  Puerto Rico.Hell Canada stuck us with Alaska, thats the least they could do.
LOL!! Until tomorrow then, funny guy
Ohhh yes please.  I want to take California.  What I wouldn't give for a province with warm weather all year long!!! And palm trees!  It's so cold here already this year that I just know we are in for it. Do you know my leaves actually came down on top of the snow?  I don't remember ever seeing that before.  And big storm supposed to be rolling in tonight.  I'd move to California in a heartbeat if it was part of Canada.  Can we have Hawaii too?  We'll even take back Alaska as part of the deal as long as you keep Sarah!!  How's that for a deal?  
I've got a better idea, the US gets Puerto Rico and California becomes it's own independent country.
No no no no!!!  R promised ME California!!!  I want California!  We deserve a warm place within our borders, we do we do we do!!

Ok, temper tantrum over. I feel much better now.
YES!!! That is the best idea ever.

Sorry adgal, but now you'll have a reason to visit and we will give you dual citizenship.
How about Canada gets Puerto Rico (Better trade than California) but you still have to take Sarah (sorry, it's a package deal) and Mexico gets California.
We'll even take back Alaska as part of the deal as long as you keep Sarah!!  How's that for a deal?

ROFL!!!!
HAAA! ROFL

I feel like Phyllis Diller cackling out loud
Got a song for you Glass on my status
for all of you
goodnight, loveyall
Hmmm....I'm only agreeing to take Sarah if I get California.  I can drive there in a few days..Peurto Rico is so far away!  Come on, you folks have all kinds of warm weather states and lots of palm tree's!  All we want is one tiny little bit of it!  Be nice!
Actually, rethinking that.  Not taking Sarah.  Nope, no way no how.  
Nighty night, sleep well.  Lovya too!
OK, Canada gets Alaska and Puerto Rico, and Sarah goes to Mexico with California. Hey maybe this thing will work out after all. We’re only one day into it and Republicans and Democrats have already worked together to resolve an issue. Going to bed now.
SOLD!!!  I think we have a deal.  Sleep well.
Sarah ? No way Jose' !
That putz will bring the average IQ down even more than it already is?

Mexico lost us once, they don't get us back. Okay, tell ya what, they can have the southern half and the north becomes a new country. The national currency will be the marijuana leaf.
Sorry adgal, you've got BC you don't need us, really.
Want warm ? That's what wood fires are for.
You guys are hysterical.  

I have a rather controversial idea....add PR, but ditch Ohio....they're always such a drag on election day.  Sorry SM!  ;0)
Sarah ? No way Jose' !

No way Jose'

Im roflmao!!!!!!!

51 states?  Man, that would mess up our flag.  There HAS to be a trade!!!
This is too funny--okay I really am going to bed now-nice to see ya ng
OH I love the currency symbol!!!!!
The national currency will be the marijuana leaf. .

That's Colorado's new state plant...sorry!  ;0)
That's Colorado's new state plant...sorry!  ;0) "

Yes OH, Cali already had their chance to be first but it was CO. LOL
I think Cali will be next though, I have a brother that lives down south in HB
BC is lovely, and come to think of it, it too could easily pass the mj leaf off as it's flag or currency.  However, I WANT PALM TREES!  That's all I ask....a little heat.  Off to chop some wood now and I think you should feel very bad for me.  

Oh well, you guys are still stuck with Sarah.....lol.
I'm heading off the continent so I'm stuck with no one.  LOL  You guys are funny.  
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Dee1956 commented on VICourageous's status
Dee1956, and Barb135 commented on dominosarah's status
Barb135 commented on photo
Sep 24