485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Python Challenge: Florida Snake Hunters Compete for Cash Prizes
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are determined to be argumentative, combative, or offensive. MedHelp has recently changed their Terms of Use; with the new format and other changes being made, this would be a good time to familiarize yourselves with the new TOU as well. You can access those via the following link: http://www.medhelp.org/legal/terms_of_use Name calling, ridicule and abusive language is not allowed (per MH Terms of Use); this includes the title of your thread. Any thread posted with derogatory name calling in the title will be deleted, no matter how informative your thread might be, unless it’s part of the published title of the article you’re posting…This type of abuse brings nothing constructive to the forum and serves only to instigate altercations. We are all adults and are expected to behave accordingly… Failure to comply with these rules will result in being deleted from the group membership list. You *must* post a link to your source or your thread will be deleted.

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
38 members

http://www.pawnation.com/2012/12/10/python-challenge-florida-snake-hunters-compete-for-cash-prizes/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D243519

By Sara Tan Dec 10th 2012

Beginning January 12, hunters are embarking on a so-called "Python Challenge" presented by wildlife officials in hopes of reducing the Burmese python population in the South Florida wetlands, according to ABC News.

Those who are skilled enough to snag one of the invasive species can win up to $1,500. An additional $1,000 will be given to the person who captures the longest python. This is the first time Florida has ever invited the public to participate in a head-on approach to thwart the Burmese python population.

Burmese pythons have been known to grow up to 26 feet in their native South Asia. However, the longest python found in Florida was 17 feet long. Carli Segelson, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesperson, believes that the contest will not only achieve eradication, but also documentation of the pythons.

"Our goal is to help get rid of the python from the wild, educate the public about the snake's impact on the Florida ecosystem, and inform them of what impacts non-native pets can have if allowed into the wild," Segelson said.

This challenge is not just good news for the Florida Wildlife Commission, it is good (albeit controversial) news for clothing, accessory and furniture companies who use python skins for their products. A company in Hollywood, Florida, intend to buy the python skins from the hunters.

To learn more about the contest, click to see the website.
I dont care what they do with them after they catch em! Just catch em! I hear they are coming up from the keys now migrating further and further up. EW! Reminds me of the igwana population on the barrier islands. Those ugly suckers were everywhere and they hired people to come and catch em. They would catch em and put em in a freezer and that is how they killed em. I remember when it got unusually cold here and you would see those things falling out of trees and the like. If they stay cold over 15 minutes they die. YUCKERS!
This is part of something that I am rather passionate about.  The introduction of species that are damaging local eco systems....  (They did it here with the wolf... funny you don't see a whole bunch of folks on the bunny hugger sites complaining a bunch about this snake issue.....)
Invasive species can ruin the natural environment and make it difficult for the native species to survive. This is an environmental issue.

Brice~ are you saying wolves weren't native to Wyoming ?
Nope... I'm saying THIS wolf is not native to Wyoming.  The sub species that was introduced to Yellowstone National Park is 25%-$30% larger than the indigenous species.  The introduces species preferred prey is Caribou, and there hasn't been Caribou in this part of the country in eons.
Barb135 commented on FDA issued a warning ...
1 min ago
703nikki joined this group
Welcome them!
Feb 06
Life360_Dave your status can't be blank Comment
Feb 03